natural medicine

detali

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
What would you do if you were in my shoes? Natural medicine or head to the Dr. office?

I spilled some hot grease on my hand yesterday. The whole top of my hand is swollen. There are quite a few second degree burn blisters. None are broken open so that's good. Since the skin is unbroken I have applied arnica oil to the whole area. That is after I cooled it as much as I could with cold water, then ice.

Is natural medicine only a theory then we head to the dr. when something happens? Or do we use natural remedies and let nature take it's course?

I'd like to hear you opinions.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is what I would do for myself - raw honey (Manuka is best if you can get it), bandage. Ibuprofen for the pain if needed. Check out Herballegacy.com. It has Dr. Christopher's treatments and he has a burn program. The honey has antibacterial properties and will keep it moist for healing. Hope you get to feeling better quick.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also, to answer your other question - I will do natural methods unless there is a broken bone or other such injury. I learned so much from taking the Family Herbalist course from the School of Natural Healing (based on Dr. Christopher's teachings) that I now believe much of modern medicine is unnecessary. I think it's still on sale for $100.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am inclined to agree with Javamama. The doctor would most likely just clean it well, spread some salve on it, and wrap it up; might as well save yourself the time and money and do it yourself. If you see any sign of infection though I would certainly suggest letting a doctor see it. Try not to pop the blisters, let them subside on their own.

detali

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
thank you javamama. i just packed my whole hand in honey, wrapped it in cling wrap and put an ace bandage over it.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I'd use the natural remedy, yet watch for infection; that would be when I'd head to a physician.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would use a breathable bandage rather than cling wrap. Most minor wounds heal better with less chance of infection if air can get to them. Use a bit of gauze if you need to keep it clean while doing dirty chores....better yet, use your hand as an excuse to get someone else to clean the catbox! :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
For future reference, put ice on a burn immediately and let it be the first thing you put on. It stops the cooking process.
I used to be a glass blower, getting burned was part of the job, especially when you are first learning.
Getting ice on the burn ASAP is imperative to rapid healing and preventing blistering. Seconds count. After the ice, we use aloe vera. I have heard of honey and it sounds good to me. It's just that we always have aloe on hand. I don't have a single scar from burns either.
I got a nasty steam burn a few years back. I had a mark for about two years, but now I cannot find a mark anymore. I don't even know which wrist it was on.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The absolutely best remedy for burn it to take the homeopathic remedy Cantharsis in 30c potency orally. Repeat dosage every 30 minutes until the pain is gone. Usually 1 to 3 doses could be needed. A severe burn maybe more. Do not apply ice, or any oil product. You will be amazed!

I keep it in my kitchen!

Frosting

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cool a burn right away with ice and then use a salve. Rather you want to use aloe or honey, I don't think it matters but, for a second degree burn all a doctor will do is cool it and put burn ointment on it. Letting it breath is important too.

It seems to me that it should be raw honey not the pasteurized stuff.

Latest posts