Natural remedy for stinging nettle?

Swede

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Short story:
I went outside today, and got tired of walking and biking, and found a rather comfortable patch of weeds.

You can guess what's going to happen, right?

I jumped on it aaaaand... it was stinging nettles!!

(I was wearing shorts)
It stings like hell! Is there a natural remedy other than vinegar? (It finished)

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ouch! I once got ahold of one when I was weeding my flower bed. I will never forget the feeling. It's not named stinging nettle for nothing.

Swede

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ouch! I once got ahold of one when I was weeding my flower bed. I will never forget the feeling. It's not named stinging nettle for nothing.

X2
And it leaves marks on my white skin, so it looks like I've got ugly spotty legs :(

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Nettles hate me with a passion and the feeling's mutual. I brought some ointment from south africa that takes the sting out quickly. Ingredients here if anyone wants to try and make some: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zam-Buk It's wonderful relief for insect bites too.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I get into the Nettles, the stinging will last a couple of days. Is that the same with you guys?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Am I the luckiest person alive that I don't really know what stinging nettles are? I mean, I've heard of them but I don't know what they look like and I've certainly never encountered them.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
NH Homesteader, you are LUCKY!!! Here is a picture of the Stinging Nettles:

upload_2017-8-9_11-27-25.jpeg