Navajo~I sent your scoby and kefir

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get it together. It's 'on the house' too b/c it took so long. Plus I'm trying a different shipping method, so it was cheap to ship. Hopefully it gets there in one piece. :)

It only cost me a whopping $1.92! If it gets there safely I can ship more often to folks that need it.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH MY! I just now saw this! I don't come into this area much (HA!)

I will definitely let you know when I get it. As for the "on the house" I really appreciate it but it's not necessary. I'll look around and see if I can come up with something "cool" to send you in return.

THANK YOU!

Also, for what to do... For the scoby, I brew a gallon of black tea and sweeten it (how much sugar?) and pour the scoby and liquid in and cover with a cloth, right?

For the kefir...ummmm...just a pint of whole milk on the counter?

I guess I am not as prepared as I would hope! Been a bit crazy around these parts for the past couple of weeks!

Take care and I really do appreciate it!

Tom

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I GOT IT!!! :weee

OK, since you are trying a new shipping method, I'll give you a quick run down...

the package arrived in the mailbox with one corner slightly damp. The kefir was sort of smooshed looking but you could still tell what it was and looks like a grain (according to the pics I've seen.

The scoby looks like a big wad of brown snot :)lau) so I reckon it made it OK too. not sure how much tea you included in the baggie but there was almost 1 tablespoon in it when I opened it.

i put the kefir in a pint of whole milk covered in a clean T-Shirt swatch and put it on the kitchen counter.

I made 1.5 gal of Lipton tea and added 1.5 cups of sugar and placed the scoby and mother tea in it and covered with the rest of the clean T-shirt and it is on the counter where it will not get any sunlight.

Sound good?

Thank you so much and wish me luck!

I'm still trying to come up with something nifty to send you in return so get ready! No telling WHAT I'll come up with! :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
YEA!!! It made it!!

Ok, thanks for the run down. I think it was about a TBLS of each milk and kombucha mother tea.

You did great on the tea ingredients. Organic is best, but I use Lipton b/c I can't find organic tea.

On the kefir grain, depending on your room temp, it may take longer or shorter than 24 hours. AND shipping may have weakened it somehow, so you may not get good results right away.

(FYI I mailed each in a ziplock the scoby with a bit of mother tea and the kefir grain with a TBSP or so of raw milk. I think shipping was about $1.90, WAY cheaper this way.)

Good luck! :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
One quick note on the kefir. Cover it with an actual lid ;)
Its the Kombucha that needs the oxygen.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Gotcha! Will go do that now. One question though. I have read the kefir thread and I'm SURE it's in there somewhere, but...

How do I tell when it's "done"? Time to change it into new milk?

Thanks for all the help and I saw your pics of the new addition. SHE'S A KEEPER! So glad for you!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
And all this time I've been using a coffee filter and a rubberband?! :lol:

It will look like runnier yogurt...like as runny as the kind they sell at the store to drink. It will be tart too, like yogurt.

When I split mine for you, it seperated into kefir and whey really quickly. The next batch is fine though. :)

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
And all this time I've been using a coffee filter and a rubberband?! :lol:

It will look like runnier yogurt...like as runny as the kind they sell at the store to drink. It will be tart too, like yogurt.

When I split mine for you, it seperated into kefir and whey really quickly. The next batch is fine though. :)
Gotcha! I'll keep an eye on it. MAN! I have a lot to learn! :gig

Latest posts