Neat Plant Starters

QueenRed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
http://budget101.com/articles/article15.htm

So I was looking for information on dehydrating stuff, when all of a sudden I stumble upon this great site.

These neat little plant starters are easy to make and degrade all on their own. The best thing yet, they won't cost you anything and you can reuse things.

There is a neat little basket design I found a while back that I will post here too. It's very lovely and made entirely of newspaper!

I think I'll make a few of these for later on next year! I use the color pages of news papers for the cats food/water bowl, so there is a use for those too if you are interested. If not for that, then you could use them to make a basket!

If neither idea appeals to you, you can always donate them to the animal shelter if they use them. Just an idea.

Anyway, I know lots of people who stock pile newspapers and it's great to find a use for them.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Those are great.

paper is recyclable. I don't ever buy a newspaper anymore..lol...something I cut out of my budget.

egg cartons are not....so I use styrofoam egg cartons as my plant starters. that way they get some good use before hitting the old landfill...at least I tried to use them as long as I can..LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That is what I use....many cold depressing wintry days are perked up with the wrapping of newspaper around a glass and the smell of seed starting mix!

QueenRed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here's the basket i was talking about.

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/47...hanging-how-to-make-a-basket-from-a-newspaper

And here is a variation of it that you could probably figure out how to do.

http://mintbasil.blogspot.com/2008/08/you-know-you-want-one-too.html

Here's one for the twisted, weaved method..

http://www.essortment.com/all/recyclepapers_rlyb.htm

Sorry no pictures on that one, but I'm going to try to stockpile newspapers so I can make some of these. That second blog got me thinking about opening up an Etsy shop... Maybe one day. ;)

backyardlivin

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i cut toilet tissue rolls in half, cut a couple slits on one end, fold those over, fill with dirt, and by the time the plant is big enough to set out the tube is starting to decompose.

QueenRed

Power Conserver
Reaction score
backyardlivin said:
i cut toilet tissue rolls in half, cut a couple slits on one end, fold those over, fill with dirt, and by the time the plant is big enough to set out the tube is starting to decompose.
That's awesome. I may make a few of those too. It seems like the newspaper would degrade too quickly, but with the toilet paper rolls, they wouldn't. I've been looking for a few uses for those too. That and paper towel rolls.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
QueenRed said:
backyardlivin said:
That's awesome. I may make a few of those too. It seems like the newspaper would degrade too quickly, but with the toilet paper rolls, they wouldn't.
We use newspaper as mulch around the tomato plants, and I can tell you that it will last the entire season. I actually tilled the newspaper in when I cleaned up the garden this fall. We take one section(about 4 pages) lay it down next to the plant, then another, overlapping the first piece by 1/2 and so on. That way it takes 4 sections to go completely around the plant. I then just stab the tomato cage into the ground (thru the paper) to hold everything in place.