need "30 minute mozzarella" help? - update: SUCCESS!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Can you believe the amount of whey? I mean, how does a person start with 1 gallon of milk, make cheese and then still have what looks like a gallon of whey? Yikes! I used their whey-pizza crust recipe and then feed the rest to the chickens... But, I'd love more ideas if you have them :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Glad it finally worked for you! I will live vicariously through you--until I get my cow, and then I am off to make my own cheese, too. but cheese is definitely on my list of thingss to do... congrats!

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Can you believe the amount of whey? I mean, how does a person start with 1 gallon of milk, make cheese and then still have what looks like a gallon of whey? Yikes! I used their whey-pizza crust recipe and then feed the rest to the chickens... But, I'd love more ideas if you have them :)
Can you make ricotta from it? I've never done anything of the sort, but I've heard that's what you do with leftover whey from cheesemaking. Of course, I know nothing. I wasn't here! Forget you saw me! ;)

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats says to make ricotta just like vinegar cheese, but using whey instead of milk. Sounds pretty easy!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
They say that the 30 min mozzarella whey CANNOT be used for making further cheese, supposedly you need whey from cheese started with, uh, starter of some sort. The booklet gives a pizza dough recipe and an italian bread recipe to use the whey, but I was way too busy this weekend so the chickens got as much as they could consume and the rest went into the compost. (Probably some people would not compost it. I don't wanna hear about it ;)) When I have fewer ditches to dig I do want to explore non-chicken-y things to do with the whey though.

me&thegals, you are so right about the amount of whey. It is just bizarre. And such a scary color, too :p

Pat

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read somewhere that whey makes an excellent liquid in soup, in place of water or broth. Sounds like a good idea to me, especially in something you would enjoy tasting a bit cheezy. Though again, I have no clue about whey. Never made cheese. Now I want to!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats Pat with your success...:)I got some info from i think..New England Cheese Co. several yrs ago,but just never got around to trying it...I know its not easy, but i always wanted to learned how to make the Italian hard cheeses,for grating...Thats why i need to get a dairy goat...:) I could get away with a goat, my neighbors would freak if i got a cow...! lol...someday, when i have a few bucks in my pocket again and can take a weekend crash course in cheese making...until then, maybe i'll try the mozzarella thing...:)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Reviving this old thread now that we're in the depths of winter. I followed the directions on my kit to make a wonderful lemonade-like drink. NOT! I tried making ricotta. No go. So, has anybody been making cheese lately and coming up with a great way to use the whey?

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We aren't milking now, so no cheesemaking.

A few ways I have used whey: baking - makes good bread, water plants - garden enjoyed it last summer, chickens and pigs love it.
I've read to use it for cooking pasta and rice. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm thinking it would be good.

I'd like to see some other ideas on using whey.

I really struggled with this as it seemed like a waste. But, I've learned to let it go. We enjoy the mozzarella cheese and sometimes ricotta and I let the garden and animals enjoy the rest.