Need a duck expert! Quackly!!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We lost one of our ducks to a bobcat the other night. We had the ones that he left locked up with our chickens in the warm and dry. Yesterday we decided to let them out and they went out on the pond. Today our temps has dropped below zero with the windchill. We have tryed to get the ducks off the pond, but they will not leave it and the pond is froze over. My question is,..how cold tolerant are the ducks?? They are sheltered under some berry vines hanging over the pond. I have tryed everything to get them out where we can put them in with the chickens. Will they freeze tonight???? They are Pekins.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Cute title btw.

I'm no expert, but my Rouens survived a week long winter blast with temps hovering in the teens. They have an uninsulated dog house to seek shelter in. Most nights they were just walking around their run.

DM or WZ should be here soon to give you some tips, they are the experts. Until then I wouldn't worry.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'll throw in my non-duck expert opinion.... but yes waterfowl are REALLY cold hardy. your biggest threat is that stupid bobcat unless your man really winged him.. then hopefully the foxes wont get your ducks.

but

you can check with Cottage Rose over on BYC who is for me (aside from WZ!) the leading authority on cold weather ducks and geese...she's up in Michigan.

the ducks may or may not freeze TO the pond.. which will be troublesome to get them off. but they will probably be ok.. or at least i should say the chance they are going to be ok is greater than the risk to yourself if you tried to go and get them.

we had to start herding our ducks in earlier than we'd have liked when the weather turned. fortunately our momma duck kinda likes the free eats and the soft cushy place to sleep..so the rest follow her.

tomorrow see if you can
1. get them off the ice in the morning - and chances are they will think sleeping out there sucks and will run to you
2. lock them up at mid day if you can
3. only feed them where you keep them at nite

thats the only thing that has worked for us.

good luck!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Once the bobcat gets a taste of those ducks, I'm pretty sure he will be back for more.

It sounds like the ducks don't have their own regular sheltered area?

Do you give them treats that might lure them back?

I suspect your biggest concerns are the bobcat and the possibility of frostbite on the duck's feet. They do have a lot of down, which should keep them warm, as long as they can keep their feet warm enough (by sitting on them or keeping them in water).

If it were me, I would try to establish somewhere they can regularly be sheltered and get them in the habit of coming in at night, even if you have to bribe them. Ducks like regular habits, so as long as you get them used to one, you shouldn't have any more problems.

Good luck!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well we got them to come in. I lured them out with some cracked corn. They have a regular shelter, but being hard headed ducks they refuse to come out of that pond,..not unless they are starving for treats or a bobcat is after them :rolleyes:. They are in their house and shut up for the night. They seemed very cold, or maybe it was just me. I worry about them,..:D This is the first time the pond completely froze over with them in it...so I guess they will be on dry land till Monday when our heat wave shows up! I am glad to know that they are pretty cold hardy,..Thanks for all of your replies and help,..:)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm glad you managed to lure them back to their shelter.

Mine are very good about going in if it gets dark, but they can be hard-headed if they have not had a full day outside. :rolleyes: So long as they have some dry bedding to snuggle in and a windbreak, they should be fine. :) Thanks for letting us know they are safe!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Glad you got those knuckleheads to come in! Feather-kids can be as much of a pain as the 2 legged kind! :p

the ducks may or may not freeze TO the pond
That would be my concern. Plus, if it froze enough, Mr Bobcat or one of his buddies (Mr Fox, Mr Raccoon or Mr Dog-with-crappy-owners-who-let-him-wander-the-neighborhood) could just walk right out on the ice and eat them while they sleep!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
what a relief!!! great work with the cracked corn...i know its insanely frustrating trying to herd them.. but once they get it.. it will be easier. i keep adding dry straw to the duck garage....and i make sure they have something (a straw bale) to roost on. if you can, you might want to just keep them locked up for a couple of days.

great job!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I just read that with chickens, if you let them evade you they learn to get away from you. I think the same goes for ducks . . . if you are consistent about putting your foot down, they know they can't get away with anything. Of course, if your pond is really big, there isn't much you can do. :/

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
well... hee hee hee... you can send one of your big 'ol farm dogs in to scare 'em up on land!

but only in summer
;-)

hee hee hee...that reminds me of a story. hummm..

Latest posts