Need a little help deciding...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a few things that I'm debating on for my next project for sales. I am building enough cash in my paypal to send in for another order, so I need to decide on whether I get supplies to make lotions or supplies to make soy candles next. Soy candles would be about $7 for a jelly jar size (8oz) candle. Lotions would be either in 4oz bottles or 2oz bottles. 4oz bottles would be $4.50 and 2oz bottles about $2.50.

Based on the prices and item, theoretically, which would you be more likely to purchase? Thanks guys!

ETA: The approximates are because I haven't completely decided on the oil portion of the lotion, but do know that there would be shea butter and liquid silk in it. I'm still debating on my liquid oils as of right now, so it may include apricot kernel oil, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, etc.

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is there a website where I can educate myself a little better on the sort of products you're considering (or your business in general)? I buy lotions that are made of pronounceable ingredients that are safe for my daughter's sensitive skin and I buy candles that are made by hand in seasonally appropriate scents (that's when I splurge on such things- there are some scents that really 'kick off' seasons for me and if I gotta have it, I'd rather give the money to someone local than to a corporation). Don't know if that helps, but I'm always glad to provide market feedback!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I personally would buy lotion over candles, but I have heard soy candles are nice. Sorry, probably not much help. How about lip balm? :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would buy lotion over candles.

Lotions I can use and many many customers will buy lotion over a candle. Candles are now more of an 'extra' item to own and truly not needed whereas lotions make better gifts etc.

but truly, think where a customer would more spend their dollar.

I sold in many many markets over the last 15 years and lotions sold far better and the candle people made very few sales actually.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm hoping to have both made before xmas, but, well, I make a lot of plans that don't always happen as I plan them to, lol.

Team Chaos, my lotions aren't 100% formulated yet, however, I WILL be using Phenonip preservative. There simply are not any natural preservatives, no matter what people tell you about grapeseed extract or vitamin E. I've been thinking about solid lotion bars as well, which wouldn't need preservatives. Most of the stuff that goes into my products are straight from the grocery store or from local farmers.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, so another question... If the 2oz bottles were exactly half the price of the 4oz bottles, would you be more likely to purchase the 4oz or 2oz size? The problem with lotion sizing is that it's actually slightly less than half of the price to purchase the 2oz bottles as it is to purchase the 4oz bottles. But generally there is some type of savings when you purchase a larger quantity of something... Not that I'm wishing the price of the 2oz bottles to go up, but the shipping definately tacks some extra expense onto the 4oz bottles. :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sell one size...seriously. pick one size and sell that. lotion should be a bigger bottle. I think it is truly easiest to sell one size, transport one size, and deal with one size....:lol:

when you offer too much, the customer actually has a harder decision. but seeing one bottle on your table, with a great display, one cost and maybe a "2 for X" with a bit of a savings.....well they have one easy decision. and if they buy good chance they are hooked and you have a customer for life.

hope that helps a bit.

Latest posts