Need a Rototiller, which one?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are thinking of developing a garden that will eventually be about 60 by 100 feet or there abouts.

Can anyone recommend a rototiller?

It there one that can be pulled behind a ATV?

We may have raised beds due to rocky conditions with soil hauled in.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Troy Bilt that is about 20 years old. I plow my garden in the fall with my tractor, and from that point on I "Troy Bilt." I work the ground and cultivate between the rows with it. It has a shovel that I can put on the back to dig a furrow with for planting potatoes and corn. To the shovel I can add wings which makes it a sweep type of an attachment. With the sweep on, I go between the potatoes and try to cover everything up. Potatoes and all (not sweet potatoes). Works good for weed control and the potatoes will come right through the dirt and keep growing. The shovel attachment is very easy to attach.

My tiller has a Kohler engine which I highly recommend.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We bought a Cub Cadet this year, not suitable for atv use but goes through out red rocky clay like warm butter.

I don't have all the attachments that Tallman does, just the tiller.

We really needed something heavy duty and that fit the bill for us.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Troy Bilt is the best in the way of tillers.....wish I could find one in my area to buy! :( I need one in the worst way and I'm going to try sending out the ol' word o' mouth smoke signals at church, which seems to yield some amazing results! ;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Troy Bilt used to make a heck of a machine. I don't know how they are now that MTD bought them out. I have a 4ft tiller for the back of my Kubota, so I haven't had a need for a walk behind for quite a few years now.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Get rear tine.

best one I think.

get heavy duty!!

don't skimp cause a good one will last a long long time.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My dad's TB has a wonderful little "hilling" attachment that I like! Practically does the work for you! :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We've bought Craftsman from Sears and True Value both with rear tines. I don't like these brands and I'm the one who uses the tiller.
I'm not bothered by the heaviness of it but by the thing needing to go in the shop every year. I haven't had one last longer than 3 years. I'm thinking about renting this year. Had my tiller in last spring for repairs and it cost $275. That money should have gone towards a new one instead!!!

I'm looking for a used TroyBuilt like my Dad's, which was my grandfather's.
I also want to take a small engine repair class.

Reaction score
We bought a Craftsman 8.5hp 17". So far it's doing a real good job. Cutting the dirt better than the Hondas I've rented. The linkage controlling fwd,rev,till is kind of cheesy and even though it has 13" tires it has a hard time getting traction in dirt that's been tilled already. It was last years model and was 300.00 off. Paid 635 for it. Can't afford a real nice one. We live 50 miles from the nearest rental place so we have to rent for 24 hrs to get the job done. Plus 200 miles of gas. So each rental is about 100 if the ground isn't too hard and you can rent the cheap tiller. The heavy duty tiller is around 200. Makes those veggies pretty expensive. Once the dirt is in good shape we'll start trying to use the cover your garden in hay method to control weeds ad keep the moisture in. We have 60x80 plus a green house that we grow tomatoes in the dirt floor so it needs attention too. It's ridiculous how much you have to put into a big garden between irrigation and getting the soil in shape. It will be worth it once we get it figured out.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
We live 50 miles from the nearest rental place so we have to rent for 24 hrs to get the job done. Plus 200 miles of gas. So each rental is about 100 if the ground isn't too hard and you can rent the cheap tiller. The heavy duty tiller is around 200. Makes those veggies pretty expensive. Once the dirt is in good shape we'll start trying to use the cover your garden in hay method to control weeds ad keep the moisture in.
We would pick up the tiller when they close, keep it overnight and return when they open in morning for $44.50 which would give us 5 hours of use. We had it plowed and disked early last fall so we aren't tilling new ground.

I've used the hay mulch and it was the best and most gorgeous garden we ever had. Hay prices went through the roof the last few years for bales-$ 6.50 ea, up from $2.25. Since that price increase we enlarged our garden to 100x100' and would easily use one of the big rounds if someone delivered.

ETA too bad the rental is so far from you, do I read business opportunity?