Need a source for sassafras, burdock, licorice

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to order some roots for Man of the House to make his own root beer but I'm not finding a good source. Anybody out there sell this stuff, or do you have a website you like?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do you have any sassafras growing in your area? According to what I've heard, it's illegal to sell the root, but if you have it growing in your area, you could always dig up your own.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
From the FDA...
Aromatic sassafras tea, once popular as a stimulant and blood thinner and as a reputed cure for rheumatism and syphilis, causes cancer in rats when taken in large amounts. Oil of sassafras and safrole, major chemical components of the aromatic oil in sassafras root bark, were taken out of root beer more than 30 years ago. And sassafras bark was banned from use in all food. Safrole-free extract, however, is allowed in food.
I think Anise and Licorice are acceptable replacements.
http://www.bulkherbstore.com/ Is a good source for bulk herbs as well.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Licorice will affect blood pressure so be careful if you have BP problems. A consulting pharmacist who uses naturals had me stop using licorice tea for breathing problems because of the blood pressure issues.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I used to live near this store and it's great. They have good prices and an amazing selection. http://www.leavesandroots.com/

Was he looking to drink it once in a while, or frequently? If he wants something to drink regularly, he might need to substitute. He also needs to check about interactions between the herbs and any meds he might take.
I would enjoy some now and then without worrying about it though.