need book idea

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok let me start off by saying I am not someone who reads many books....In the past 5 years I have only read one book cover to cover, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. So I need something that is really going to hold my interest.

Well I am getting the reading craving again and I want to read another book. I really liked Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and would like something similar. I am particularly interested in how families become more self sufficient..."the story of their journey".

Any suggestions?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yes, Omnivore's Dilemma is amazing, but it can be a bit of a difficult book to get through if you aren't really a reader. i'd definitely suggest looking into it though, because it's a really stunning example of writing about our food economy.

i'll have to think about something to suggest. you might PM Buster, since he's a librarian and VERY well read.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
How about the "Little House" series? An easy read, and ss for sure!

I also really enjoyed Carla Emery's book, The Encyclopedia of Country Living. It is a how-to book, but there are lots of stories throughout which makes it a real cover-to-cover book with lots to learn along the way. Good price, too.

BBH recommended Little Heathens last winter, which I really enjoyed.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just finished Bringing It to the Table by Wendell Berry. It's a collection of essays on farming, and why it's so important to maintain small farms. The essays make it easy to put it down for a while and pick it back up again later, alto I read it cover to cover. I am also a big fan of the Little House books. :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
In Defense of Food or Food Rules by Michael Pollan
anything by Barbara kingsolver
I tend to like historical fiction so I just go to the library and look for that. I have also looked up "farming" on the library's search engine and gotten some really good titles too.

That's the good thing about the library....if you don't like the book you stop reading it and take it back and you don't lose any money on it! :D

How about My Antonia?