Need book suggestions for my trip

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I know a really really good one called Take Me With You by BBH. ;)

How long are you going to be there? What types of books do you like?

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol:
big brown horse said:

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Three best fiction books I have read in the past year...

The Thirteenth Tale , by Diane Setterfield. A book lover's book, truly.

The Convalescent , by Jessica Anthony. Full of meaning. Just reread this one and found a lot of things I missed the first time.

The Sojourner, by Rawlings. An oldie but (largely under appreciated) goodie that should appeal to most homesteaders.

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
big brown horse said:

:D

Most of my novel consumption will be during travel - two 9 hr flights plus a few train rides. My library is hooked up with an e-book library, so I can download books to my MP3 player and still enjoy my story whilst eating, or knitting, writing etc.

I like a lot of different types of books.

I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. I also liked Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. The book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

In terms of genre, I quite like FBI type crime stories. Legal thrillers. Comedy. Historical novels (like Pillars of the Earth etc). I'm open to other suggestions, though.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:)

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters is amazing

I absolutely cannot get enough of that book and I tell everyone they need to read it. Fantastic and satisfying read.

Atonement by Ian McEwan

Another one of my favourites. I've read this book so many times my copy is very worn out. Lovely and sad story. The characters are so well fleshed out that you feel you know them in real life.

Both authors are from the UK, so I suppose its UK trip themed ;) Atonement is pretty historically based given that it takes place in WW2 Britain and France. The Little Stranger is post-war England.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anthony's book is hilarious, touched with a note of sadness. Also the funniest book I have read in a long, long time. Also a fairly quick read.

If you liked Water for Elephants, you will love Thirteenth Tale. I also should have mentioned Inheritance of Loss, by Kiran Disai. Beautiful novel set in India that explore the continuing legacy of colonialism as it affects the every day lives of Indians.

I prefer female writers for some reason, but do like Never Let Me Go by British writer Kazuo Ishiguro, who also wrote Remains of the Day which was made into a movie starring Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson. A film version of Never Let Me Go is due out soon, as well, and will star Keira Knightley.

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
big brown horse said:
Published by Wildsky publishing company! :p
I suppose I should clarify that this is not a tourist trip. I am going to spend quality time with my very close friends who I have known since I was 12 (i'm 42, so that is 30 years for those who don't want to do the math). This is only my second trip back since 1987 and the last trip Feller and Littlun were with me and we only had a total of 4 days in Wales as Feller was attending a conference in Barcelona at which, he was presenting a paper. Needless to say, there wasn't a whole lot of quality visiting done on such a short visit with jet-lagged family in tow.

Also, one of my very closest friends has been struggling with serious illness over the last little while and I really need to spend time with her and see for my self how her health is. I worry.

Maybe next trip ;)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't been back to the UK since 2005. Even when both my Great Aunts died within a year of each other (Lil just this past winter) we were not able to get away as my Dad is not able to take time off work. He is on-call 24/7-365 (yes, even Christmas).

I'd also like to suggest Youth in Revolt, the book starts off kind of boring for the first say "chapter" (couple of entries) but its a hilarious book, lots of fun to read and definitely a book I'd suggest for a long trip.

...Hang on, how come you have TWO 9 hour flights? From Toronto I pretty much remember it being 1 8 hour (I think..) flight. I know for sure it was 1 flight.