Need Duck house info

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Dace said:
Thanks Quail...you are a doll :)
No problem!

I took the pics, need to get them uploaded and resized and then I'll post them.

Just be warned, with everything thawing and melting, it is a muddy mess!! and the duck posse was hot on my heels chewing me out for being in their domain without treats :gig

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
As for space, no clue! My ducks are only in their fenced space at night. I let them out every morning
Same here. I will see if I can get pics at lunch break.

the duck posse was hot on my heels chewing me out for being in their domain without treats
I learned THAT lesson the hard way. Lana does not tolerate a lack of treats!!! :gig

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Get yourself a dog house.
I had an "igloo" type where the top is removable. Very simple to lift and clean out straw etc. Works fine for ducks or any small critter needing shelter.

Look for a free dog house on freecycle or in the local paper etc. People are unloading pets and dog houses are out there for free now.

No building, no nothing....ease, breezy...LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Great idea Karen...I had actually looked on craigslist today thinking that might be a good option. I guess if they are in a secure run they would be fine in a dog house huh?

Oh, off topic but.... I realize that we have gophers at this house. :barnie
This spring & summer should be a riot....not.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea it is a great shelter, you can wash and clean, you can use it for any animals, it is indestrucible almost and means it won't rot etc.

My bunnies lived in a little dog house for over 14 years...LOL...they did fine and the straw cleaning was so simple.

gophers, hmmm...those are target practice for us...LOL----they have to be if they are in the pasture. holes mean broken legs on horses and pasture animals. But one groundhog lives in the back woods and I see him all the time but don't shoot him cause he isn't a bother...yet...LOL

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Here is my current set up. With the exception of the roof, it was all made out of scrap materials. Hard to beat the price :D

1002336ck4.jpg

1002335sj3.jpg

1002334hg2.jpg

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Very Cool Wifezilla!
I like your set up. Thanks for taking the time to post some pics.

Your set up does not look like fort knox....do you not have a lot of predators around to worry about? I know we have hawks, coyotes (not even sure they can fit thru the fence though) skunks, possums and I would assume raccoons. Do I need full containment so none of those crawl-y critters can get in or do they not typically bother ducks?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My set up is not that fancy, and it's really muddy right now (ducks seem to think muddy is GREAT), but this is a pic of my duck shed. We built this out of fencing plank LOL and locust posts.

328_100_4635.jpg

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Your set up does not look like fort knox....do you not have a lot of predators around to worry about?
I am in a suburban neighborhood :D

My biggest fear was my male cat. So far he has not messed with the ducks. In fact, today Lana bit him in the butt because he got to close to her...LOL

I DO need to improve security because I did see a hawk not to far away from the house recently. The crows that live in the tree behind my house keep them away usually, but I don't know how reliable they are :D

Latest posts