Need Garden advice First timer HELP!

BriteChicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
So I probably should have gotten two of everything but I wasn't thinking and this is my first vegetable garden experience so I have golden zucchini dying on the plant three have died and another might if I don't figure out what is up with it Argh! And I have one tomato plant blooming but my other four are just growing leafage...? I don't have any baby green tomatoes yet :( I think I need some serious garden advice...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would say just be patient on the tomatoes. You will have baby green tomatoes soon though if one is blooming. Im not sure about zuchinni though :hu

BriteChicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks BB it's it's really frustrating watching them grow to 2in. long and then just die off :hit

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
BriteChicken said:
Thanks BB it's it's really frustrating watching them grow to 2in. long and then just die off :hit
I know. Our garden started out terrible. Taters came up horribly and tomatoes had to be rest twice (sat 100 plants twice)

But it will get better.

:)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As stated above, patience with the tomato plants. The squash.... in my experience (which is not that extensive! :D ) it's been too much water. This happened to me last summer.

BriteChicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have it in a hydroponic bucket system what I don't get is why it would be sucking up so much water if it was just hurting itself...

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
the zucchini may not have been fertilized.

Zucchini has male and female flowers on the same plant. If you take a good look at your blossoms, you will see a mini squash on some flowers, but not on others. The ones without the mini squash are male blossoms and will not produce any squash. If you take a small paint brush or cotton swab and dab it on the stamen ( the little stems with pollen on it) male flower and then gently dab it on the pistil (the female part in the middle of the female blossom) female blossom, you will be fertilizing it and our baby squashes will grow and grow and grow until they take over you house and enighborhood :p
We usually let bees do this work, but when the bees aren't doing the job, then we step in and do it ourselves.

Our tomatoe are just starting to bloom also. If your tomatoes, don't bloom, they may have too much nitrogen fertilizer. Tomatoes also don't set fruit when it gets too hot, just so you know. It is a way of protecting themselves.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My tomatos are just getting flowers too.

If you get ONE good zucchini plant to grow you will probably have enough for your family. lol

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What kind of hydroponic system do you have it set up in?
Is it ebb and flow?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
the zucchini may not have been fertilized.

Zucchini has male and female flowers on the same plant. If you take a good look at your blossoms, you will see a mini squash on some flowers, but not on others. The ones without the mini squash are male blossoms and will not produce any squash. If you take a small paint brush or cotton swab and dab it on the stamen ( the little stems with pollen on it) male flower and then gently dab it on the pistil (the female part in the middle of the female blossom) female blossom, you will be fertilizing it and our baby squashes will grow and grow and grow until they take over you house and enighborhood :p
We usually let bees do this work, but when the bees aren't doing the job, then we step in and do it ourselves.
Yep, that is what I was gonna say :)