Need help/encouragement--want to low carb but honey has gout

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, my family is me, dh, ds11 and ds9. All of us but the little guy have weight issues. I have high bp, my honey is a wreck. He has diabetes, high blood pressure, low thyroid, depression and now gout. My older son is healthy--so far--except being overweight. Little guy is healthy. SO...
I've been reading BBH's journal about her meat and veggies diet and thinking I want to low carb. I've done it before and remember the feeling of not being obsessed with food--my poor oldest son is ALWAYS wanting to eat and I feel I'm constantly fighting him about not eating. He does want to lose weight, is unhappy with his body. I've never talked to him about dieting before, just wanted to help him eat healthier. Apparently, that's not working!
I've talked to him about a low carb diet and he's really stoked. He's so excited about losing weight!

My challenges are my dh and his gout. It's flared recently and we're eating mostly chicken and eggs. I'm so sick of chicken! I'm not a huge meat person anyway--hence the not sticking to the low carb before--but do like variety. I'm not sure how I can have one person not eating lots of meat and two people eating nothing but meat? And none of us are great on the willpower, obviously. My dh also has lots of food issues, esp if someone else is eating something he can't have. My husband and oldest son already have a lot of difficulties. Am I just setting us up for failure? The only meal we all eat together is dinner, during the week. I fix breakfast for the boys, dh is still asleep. Boys eat lunch at school, me at work. We all eat dinner together, so that's the meal I'm mostly concerned about. Anyone have experience with gout and low-carb? If he DID low-carb would his gout go away? I know that's contrary to conventional medicine, but I'm not looking for conventional here. That's why I'm coming here lol. I was just so excited about changing our eating habits and I don't want to set us up to fail.

I'm also looking into a raw milk source locally. I've never felt I had the money before but have a new job and think I can justify it. Does anyone know if that will help with the gout? I'm looking at the cream, personally *purrs*

Kinda spilling a lot out here, just feeling discouraged (before we've even started!) and looking for some help.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I had a good friend with gout and low carb cleared it up, even with the red meat and rich foods. He threw himself into a flare every time he went out and grabbed a soda though LOL.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"a study published in 2000 presented a challenge to the low-purine, high-carbohydrate diet usually advised for gout patients. As insulin resistance has been increasingly implicated in the development of gout, and changes in blood cholesterol levels seen in persons with gout are similar to those associated with insulin resistance, an investigation was conducted at the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, of non-diabetic men, each of whom had had at least two gout attacks during the four months immediately prior to the study. In the study, each man ate a diet which restricted carb intake and increased fats and protein. They were also encouraged to increase their intakes of fish and poultry, which are relatively high in the purines which are classically avoided in managing gout. After 16 weeks on this diet, not only had the men lost an average 17 lb (7.7 kg) in weight, gout attacks were reduced from an average of 2.1 per month to 0.6 per month. Not surprisingly, the researchers stated that current dietary recommendations for gout might need re-evaluation.[12]

Another cause is the fruit sugar, fructose, both in high-fructose corn syrup and too much fruit.[14,15] So be careful with those five portions."
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/gout.html

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back sooner--thank you so much for the links! I've looked at the Weston Price site before and don't know why I didn't think of it for the gout. The uk link my husband actually read HIMSELF and understood what they were saying. I think I can get him on board with this new way of eating! He's totally a metabolic syndrome/syndrome X and I know he's gonna die unless something changes. I'm so excited!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
My mothers gout fully disappeared when she started drinking Kombucha...
Diet had already been mostly fixed at that point.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi Donrae, :frow

I'm glad my thread helped you. :)

I wanted to say that my daughter is or rather, was a chow hound. I called her my Russian Wolf when it came to eating. She ate everything and was on the tubby side most of her life. (Not fat, just "toddlery".)

Anyway, in the beginning I cleaned out the fridge and cabinet and took everything (that was unopened and non perishable) to a food bank, the rest I trashed or fed to the chickens. Then I went shopping. I had a nice clean, bright fridge with some simple healthy ingredients in it. Same with my cabinet. It was the most wonderful feeling.

For snacks I keep nitrate free sliced roast turkey, or nitrate-free hot dogs around along with blueberries, strawberries, roasted almonds, avocados and apples.

Today was our 3 week marker on this "diet". My daughter had a follow up at her doctor's office. Guess what? She lost 6 1/2 pounds!!!! :weee In three weeks! (I've dropped one pants size.)

On top of it all, she spends almost every waking moment playing outside and she has lost that huge appetite she used to have.

The food is a bit more expensive (and sometimes hard to find), but we don't go through as much as we did, so it weighs out.

There are ways around making meals for someone who doesn't eat a ton of meat and for others who do. I love to spread out meat in veggie-loaded salads and soups for example. The meat eaters can add more to their individual plates or bowls. I have had lunches that were all veggie salads too...it doesn't have to be all meat based meals.

In the beginning at the grocery store, I quietly said my mantra "healthy meats, healthy fats, veggies, nuts and berries" over and over until it became familiar. Now it is natural for me to waltz right passed the processed and boxed food and into the produce aisle.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I keep and make healthy stuff, if hubby decides to go buy a donut, that's his failure on his own. I have a VERY very very mega ultra stubborn hubby. He was breast fed, cloth diapered, raised homegrown on foods...but LOVES junk! Makes me want to rip my hair out. He's always asking for Hydroxy X or stomach surgery to loose weight. Roar.

So that's my end of the deal, he can eat my healthy food and loose weight or be on his own wagon;)

Otherwise, everyone else has great siggestions!