Need Help On New Idea For SufficientSelf - Price Finder / Organizer

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

The goal with this (and the other newer sites) is to have resources and pages available beyond just the forum. Similar to what we have at BYC.

Eventually we'll build out more custom page support and ideas, but right now I want to run something else by you:

While shopping, my wife will go to the store... let's say for cheese. She'll look at all the cheddar cheeses and compare relative prices per ounce or pound and will try to go for the best value.

Here's the rub: This relative pricing is problematic because you're looking at one store at one point in time. My mom, with 60 years of shopping experience and a "Depression Era" training knows instantly what a good price is for something, but someone like my wife may not be as tuned in to knowing generally what a "good price" is for something.

There may be services out there that already do this (none that I could find) but I thought it would be so cool if my wife could go to a website and keep track of prices per oz, lb, piece, whatever. That data could be shared with others as a big pool of historical statistic data.

Example: Let's say shes's going to go out to buy a specific type of cheese. She checks the site and finds that a good price for cheese (statistically across our geo-area) is $1.89 / lb. She goes to the store and finds a ton of sales on cheese, but the lowest price is $2.66 / lb. She then knows she should either wait for a sale, or find a diff. store.

So, what do y'all think? Is there something like this out there already? Would a tool like this be usevful to you / a good addition to the site?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Nifty,

I think that would be a great idea! I know that if my store(s) run a sale on a particular item, it may be a good deal compared to their everyday prices. I would like to know if that store is offering a good deal, not to their prices, but to all other prices. Does that make sense? And, is that what you are talking about? :hu

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I like the concept, but there is SO much regional variation I am highly skeptical it could be made to work, unfortunately...

Pat

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, that is exactly what I'm talking about!

Is the price you see on the shelf good compared to other stores, the same store during a sale, the same store at different times of the year, etc?

My mom is a master at this. I remember she found a killer deal on tuna (the regular cans) and bought out the store because she knew it was just a crazy amazing price... saved a fortune.

Basically this is taking what she has in her brain and making it into a program where everyone can build up the data and search / print it.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Pat did bring up a good point about regional variation. Can it be broken into regional areas? Say like, Southern Region, Midwest, Pacific North, Canada, etc.?

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think it is an interesting concept but agree with Pat that there will be significant regional variation in prices for different products.

I still think it would be interesting to see what constitutes a "good price, " as I find the whole concept somewhat subjective. When I am shopping I kinda just know if the price is reasonable or not.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think the only way you can figure what is reasonable is by shopping at different stores regularly, hopefully ones that aren't too far out of your way. I shop at Costco, and two places that are owned by Kroger. One of those is consistently cheaper than the other, even though the parent company is the same.

Prices are changing fast too . . . maybe we should just have an alert when someone finds a killer deal? :)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
It could / would definitely be regional. How granular would be the question. Regional, State, County, City... combos of each?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How WEIRD. I was just thinking along the same lines as this on my way to work this morning.

It didn't occur to me to build a database, however. What *I* thought was that with bar codes now there is just no excuse why you shouldn't be able to get on the internet, type in a product name and a zip code, and have a list of stores come up (within X miles of your zipcode) with prices for that item.

What I mean is, the information is already available within the computer system of each store.

I quite understand why stores would not want to make this information easily available to the public. But it would be cool if they did.

A couple of jobs back I did some extensive database development with Access. (There may be some development tools that would be more efficient, but Access is the only one I have ever used.) A database has four basic functions: To collect data, to store data, to sort data, and to display data.

The storing, sorting, and displaying are relatively easy for this particular project. The collecing is what is going to give you nightmares. You'd have to begin with some extremely dedicated people... people who were willing to enter in every single purchase with, for example: date, zipcode, store location, item, brand name, size and price. And possibly to go through their sales flyers and do the same thing. And they would need to do it frequently--weekly at least for the data to be of any practical use.

Once you developed a faithful following and had everyone entering in their purchases every time, the information would be hugely helpful, thus generating more interest and more participants. But the first couple of hundred people would have to REALLY love you. ;)

From what I can tell, you have an impressive ability to develop a faithful following. LOL So, I think if anyone could do it, YOU could.

You might even consider just starting out with staples so that it's not such an overwhelming burden to your first data collectors.

Just a thought.

Cassandra

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
As Pat said, regional variations are going to make this a nightmare - heck, even within Massachusetts the variations are amazing. Prices in western MA are similar to that in southern New Hampshire (where we do most of our pantry/staple shopping - not hard, we drive through every other weekend and always have a cooler in the back). Here in southeastern MA the prices vary from town to town - the Shaws here in Hanson is cheaper than the Shaws in Hanover - and the two towns are contingent! Higher per capita in Hanover, and Shaws knows it. (Shopping in Shaws makes be break out in hives, when I see those prices, compared to Market Basket up in NH - although I have to say, Market Basket in Raynham, MA has the same prices at the NH stores - go figure. And for those of you in the area, if you have a Market Basket nearby, consider frequenting it - the prices are so much better than any of the other big supermarkets everyday.)

Sorry, I digress :)

Latest posts