Need help quickly! How sticky...

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
should my bread dough be?
I am making some Hawaiian bread. Did not use the bread machine. It calls for 6 c. flour. Let rise 1 hr, then add .5c flour, knead, bake. I sifted the flour, was this wrong? The dough seems VERY sticky to me. I don't know if I should add more flour now, or wait until after it rises and add more than it calls for then, or just keep on with the given instructions.

It did not say whether to sift the flour or not.

:barnie this is how I feel right now. Trying to make the most of my first day home, and I'm afraid it will be a disaster!

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Hawaiian bread (but intrigued!) but in general, as you're kneading you should keep adding small amounts of flour until the dough is smooth, elastic, and no longer sticky, even if that means adding more flour than the recipe calls for. If you've already finished kneading and it's now rising, I'm not sure if you can do anything about it. Perhaps you can re-knead, adding more flour? Good luck, I hope it works out! Oh, and I do not sift the flour when I make bread. I'm not sure if that's right or wrong, that's just what I do (or don't do).

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks annmarie! I was starting to imagine people reading my post and rolling their eyes thinking "she's beyond help at this point" ! :lol:

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I did some yeast rolls the other day and my dough was stickier than many other recipies. It stuck to my hand when I took it out of the bowl after the first rise.

I was a little concerned, but I did not add more flour. I just had to use a little more when I rolled it out.

It turned out just fine. :cool:

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You'll be fine. I'm a real "by the book" type when it comes to recipes, but I'm discovering that when it comes to making yeast breads you have to look at the recipe more as a suggestion than an unbreakable rule. It all depends on the amount of humidity and temperature in your house on that particular day, the strength of your yeast, the brand of flour, the temperature of the ingredients, and probably all kinds of other factors I haven't figured out yet. Please post the recipe when you're done. I've never heard of Hawaiian bread!

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks you all. I did add some more flour to it. It hadn't started rising to speak of.
Annmarie - have you ever had King's Hawaiian Bread? The most common one is a round loaf. Many people cut it out like a bowl and put spinach dip in it. It is a slightly sweet bread. I had a recipe for the bread machine. The first time I made it, it was great! Next 2 times didn't seem as sweet. Thought I'd try a new one. I forget where I got it, so if it is anyone's here, sorry I'm not giving you credit. Just holler, and I'll be sure to edit this to include your name :).

6 c. flour
3 eggs
1 c. pineapple juice
1 c. water
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. ginger
1 t. vanilla
2 pkg yeast
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter (melted)
1/2 c. flour

Beat eggs, add juice, water, sugar, ginger, vanilla & melted butter. Put 3 c. flour in a large mixing bowl. Add egg mixture. Stir until well mixed. Sprinkle in yeast, one pkg at a time, mixing well. Gradually add remaining 3 c. flour. Batter will be hard to mix with spoon. Use hands. Leave in bowl, cover with cloth. Place in warm place. Let rise 1 hour. Remove from bowl. Knead in 1/2 c. flour. Knead about 10 times. Divide into 3 equal parts and place in well greased round cake pans. Cover & place in warm place to let rise again for 1 hour. Bake at 350* for 25 - 30 min.

I have not tried this, but I will give my opinion after we eat it tonight. I am serving it with Ham with pineapple, and green bean casserole. Love Hawaiian bread with this meal. I used brown sugar in mine, I was hoping to make it a bit sweeter. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Sounds like a good bread to me. I will have to try that recipe. I can also attest to the fact that Kels recipe is also good.

Can't wait to hear your review.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK here goes.
The bread was pretty good. DH and kids all ate plenty (me too). It turned out really well for all the problems I had. Sticky dough. Then I put plastic wrap over it while rising so the towel wouldn't stick, and the platic wrap stuck!! By the time I got it unstuck my beautiful loaves looked sad. But they came out just fine.

It made 2 big round loaves (made in my round cake pans) and a normal size loaf (in a loaf pan). We ate one of the large round ones. The 5 of us ate most of it and took the last few pieces to my mom with dinner leftovers.

I just haven't gotten one to taste like the King's brand. Almost, and close enough to keep this recipe.

Thanks for everyone's help.