Need help with collards, turnips, spinach, mustard, etc...

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey yall, I have just bought some coll weather greens, and i need help and any advice you are willin to part with.

Now to the seeds i have and info i know about them. Rape, spinach, turnips and mustards, from what my mom remembers I just need to make a bed and strow the seed all over it, thinning them out as they grow to make room for more and bigger growth.

Now with the collards, my mom remembers doing the same, but my dad said he remembers them being almost like planting cabbage, you want plenty of room between each plant so he said i will want to start seed in pots and then transplant.

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We just broadcast all those seeds. Collards will need to be thinned more because they're so large, but beyond that..broadcast seed as far as I know. :hu

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm like Wbf, and just broadcast all of my cool weather greens seeds.

I've been threatening to plant them in rows for the past two years but broadcasting them wins out, every time. I end up having to do some thinning but those just go into a salad, get fed to the chickens, replanted in a bare spot or I just eat them as I'm thinning (minus the roots, of course).