Need help with ear blockage!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I know we are in the "natural remedies" section but I'd go to a doctor if I were you.

I've lost most of my hearing. However, during the process, I've learned that different viruses attack ears/hearing and it feels just like "blockage" and is actually loss of hearing. Ask me how I know.....yup, I can't really hear anymore. It happened to me.

They can actually give you medications to bring your hearing back, but only if you get yourself there quick enough.

So I would not wait and see if a natural remedy works first unless I were an ENT myself and really understood the inner ear. Deafness is NO fun at all. Don't mess around with your hearing.

No offense intended to those who are offering great advice here for simple ear wax buildup. That is a different matter, but feeling "plugged" can also happen from sudden onset hearing loss. I finally went to the doctor a few weeks later because I couldn't get the "wax" out, too late.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ooooo!! What SD said!!

Glad you pointed that out. I don't have a list of things that are truly concerning and doctor worthy that don't involve broken bones, lots of bleeding, or severe signs of oxygen deprivation lol.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
W/everyone talking about candling ears, I wanna know if there's any chicks in there. :hide

moneysavingmomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I will deff. try some of these things. I don't think it is a loss of hearing issue because I can still hear it just isn't very good. Also my ears have started to pop when I swallow. I had a ton of ear infections as a kid and had tubes in my ears. I did try the peroxide this past weekend but didn't let it sit very long maybe 3-4 minutes. I will have to try this again. If it doesn't work I will go buy olive oil. I am trying not to do the candle thing since people say it makes you dizzy. Thats the last thing I need. Thanks all for the tips. If it isn't better in a few days I am going to the doctor.

Ema

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My dd has had a rough road with tons of ear infections, she had such a bad blockage of wax that the doctors wanted to do surgery in her ears, but were reluctant because of her age, so they said, when in fact they just couldn't simply be bothered, you see in my home town, they like to see how times takes care of things, and I am not exaggerating.

Anyhow I researched all sorts of things natural and I did try the warm olive oil several times when her ears hurt real bad. but the blockage was so bad it just wasn't working like it should. So I decided to spend the money and buy polysporin ear. I really thought that the results would be the same no matter what.

but I began adding a couple drops to her ears every night before bed and having her lay on her sides for a few minutes after the drops, about a week later my dd comes to me and tells me her one ear feel funny like there is something loose in it. So I look and in fact there is a big ball of dark yellow wax it wasn't quite right at the entry point but it was close and I was able to quickly get it out with no trouble with a pair of tweezers, a week later her other ear unplugged much the same way.

it wasn't until this winter that my dd complaint of ear issues again, and it was after her swimming lessons. So I put in a few drops and she hasn't complaint since.

by the way, I also used polysporin ear on my dog Sadie, she had chronic ear issues for almost 2 years and she went to the vet often. the bills were just too much for medication that wasn't working. the polyear worked in a week and half and she has been fine since.

So those are my cases and how I dealt with them, but you specified you have ear popping, which means you have some sort of sinus issue, whether an infection or allergies. mine become itchy and I feel like I am under water and sometimes pop when my allergies are bad, so I take an antihistamine. I know none of these are natural remedies, but I know of a site that has great ones and I will post the link, I am not real sure if its allowed or not but I hope I do n't get in trouble for directing you to a natural remedy website, I know I do a lot of research on it, and it has great information for antihistamines too.

http://www.anniesremedy.com

or on FB its

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Annies-Remedy/202716903498?sk=info

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Ema

moneysavingmomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had a friend tell me they gave her antihistimines when her ears blocked up too so I bought some benadryl today! I just want it to go away! It is driving me nuts.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was just about to recommend that...it sounds as if your inner ear is full of fluid and/or your eustachian tube on that side is swollen and keeping fluid from draining properly.

An antihistamine will work and it helps if you try some over the counter nasal spray...this will drain down and hit right at the spot. It won't happen overnight and it may take a few days but you will slowly realize that you are losing that "underwater" or "down in a barrel" hearing.

Then I would try a preventative dose of a table spoon of raw honey ~obtained from local beekeepers~ each morning to help you avoid further trouble.

Latest posts