Need help with Pie Crust

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok, I am a pretty good cook but I have always struggled with pie crusts (and biscuits...but that is another post)

Anywhoo I refuse to buy a frozen pie crust so I am attempting it again. I used butter flavor crisco and had a heck of a time rolling it out (not because of the crisco just a side note on the fat that I used.) I am not really happy with how it is looking. I have two bottoms in the over blind baking and now I need to make another batch for the top crust.

Should I continue with the butter flavor crisco or just use plain?
Anyone have any idiot proof recipes?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This is my favorite pie crust recipe. You can use them immediately or freeze them.

1 1/2 cups crisco or other vegetable shortening
3 cups all purpose flour
1 egg
5 Tablespoons very cold water
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl mix shortening and flour together with pastry cutter for about 3 or 4 minutes, until it resembles coarse meal.

In a small bowl, beat egg with a fork and pour it into the flour/shortening mixture. Add water, vinegar and salt. Gently stir together until all ingredients are well combined.

Separate the dough into thirds. Form 3 evenly sized balls of dough and place each into a large ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough to about 1/2 inch thick. This will make rolling easier later. Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them. If you want to use immediately, put it in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes to chill.

When you are ready to use the dough, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. On a floured surface, roll the dough, starting at the center and working your way out. If the dough is too moist, sprinkle a small bit of flour on top of it. If the dough sticks to the countertop use a metal spatula and carefully scrape it up, flip it over, and continue rolling until it is about 1/2 inch larger than your pie pan.

With the spatula, lift the dough carefully onto the pie pan. Gently press the dough against the corner of pan. Pinch and tuck the dough to make a clean edge.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
go to www.foodnetwork.com and look up Alton Brown. Type in pie crust recipe. He has the flakest pie crust. He mixes it in a food processor. You use butter and shortening and roll it out in wax paper. There for your hands don't touch it much. Which makes a flaker pie crust. Heat from your hands melt the butter and shortening.;)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
coopy said:
go to www.foodnetwork.com and look up Alton Brown. Type in pie crust recipe. He has the flakest pie crust. He mixes it in a food processor. You use butter and shortening and roll it out in wax paper. There for your hands don't touch it much. Which makes a flaker pie crust. Heat from your hands melt the butter and shortening.;)
His recipe is good, but only works if
1. you have a food processor
2 you have a large enough food processor :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I screwed up by blind baking my crust...forgot that I was adding a top and now the two don't seal up. Oh well.

I tasted a little piece of broken off crust and it tasted good....will have to dive into the pie here pretty quick. Hot apple ala mode :ya

I made one for my 6 yr olds Thanksgiving feast at school tomorrow and figured as long as I was making a mess, I should make an extra for us ;)

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to admit that I tend to buy the frozen pie shells to make my pecan, pumpkin, and derby pie. I am a very good baker, but pie crust has always defeated me for some reason. I can get the taste ok, but I always have trouble rolling it out and not ripping it when putting it in the pan, and forget fluting the edges... always looks awful. I might try again this year since I am really trying not to use premade stuff, but I'm not holding my breath on it working out.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto Potterwatch.....
In case anyone needs to know.....You can use two knives together (place together length ways and hold in your palm) to cut in the shortening.