need help with rash

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For about a month and a half I have had a rash in my armpits. Mainly my right but my left is affected also.
They are red blotches some partially raised. They itch and sometimes hurt. I tried baby powder at first
just thinking it was heat rash. After no relief I tried Cortosone cream. That worked a bit. Then I tried
Terbinafine Hydrochloride cream that my daughter wanted me to try. The rash would almost go away
then the next day it would be back to how it started or worse.

I am at my wits end.I haven't ever had anything like this before. I was hoping that someone here could suggest
an herbal/natural remedy.

Monica

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It sounds fungal in nature and an antifungal cream or powder would work best. Barring that, Olive Leaf Extract is a good antifungal medication and trying to really decrease sugar and starch intake as well.

We see this a lot in nursing homes and the raised solid rash area like you describe pretty much indicates a yeast/fungal infection, particularly as it has gone on so long without relief. The Terbinafine Hydrochloride that you used is an antifungal preparation and that is why it got better when you used it but you need to continue it for longer than a day....fungal infections can sometimes be hard to clear up, especially one that has been ongoing for a month.

Fungus/yeast is fed on high blood sugar content, so, again..limit your sugar and starch intake if you wish this to finally go away and not recur.

taoist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Are you using any type of deodorant? What about shaving? If so, I would recommend to stop using anything for a few days other than soap and water and see how it responds. If it clears up, then you will have found the culprit that is causing the problem.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would also suspect deodorant and/or shaving.

My Mom had to totally give up any sort of anti-perspirant about 10 years ago because she developed a severe allergy to something in it--now she just uses the occasional spritz of rubbing alcohol to kill any stinkies and washes her underarms several times throughout the day. She actually found that she doesn't stink too bad unless she's really working hard, and then all it takes is a good washdown and she's ready to go again.

Shaving can irritate the area, especially if it is hot and humid out, so be sure to moisturize and always use shaving cream to avoid burn/rash.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Agree with above entries (although it may be MRSA, but I'm more thinking yeast). Also, you might want to start taking acidophillis for a while to help fight the yeast and treat yourself to a little yogert.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had raised red itchy sore bumps before many times from deodorant. I tried every kind I could get my hands on. I use one of the deodorant crystals now as it doesn't effect me and stops any smell.

I've also had the raised reddish blotch before in my armpit. It was a fungal infection and a few weeks of cream twice a day made sure it didn't come back. I've had this in other areas as well. Doctor said fungal infections are super common. She prescribed an anti-fungal twice a day, but said that if it comes back, try an over the counter one.

We've also changed our diet radically these last two months and the weight is coming off, which helps as well.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
When you said it itched and sometime hurt, the first thing I thought of was shingles. I had them not too long ago. You said it was mostly on one side which is how mine were. Calamine helped a little. Mostly they just had to go away which happened when I stopped being so stressed out.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. I was putting the TH on twice a day for about a week then stopped fro a day because it was almost gone, by morning it was full force again. After that I was putting the lotion on even when it looked almost gone and it still came back full force.

I have stopped using deoderant since it started. and only shave when I have to. I don't eat much sugar but do eat quite a lot of starch. I eat yogurt.
Last year we moved from the high mountains in CA to TN. It first showed up after a week of high humid temps. It seems to ease up a bit when the temps/humidity is lower. But really does not go away.

BK- Where do I find the Olive Leaf Extract?

Yesterday I put Cortaid on it three times and today they look better- not as red, but they still itch a bit.

Monica

taoist

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If you think it might be a yeast infection, then I would second the suggestion of eating yogurt or kefir and also try applying some to the affected areas. A good natural anti-fungal is Oil of Oregano. You can get the capsules and take them by mouth and also cut one or two open to apply directly to the area.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mother always ordered her through Swansons: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/

Here's another source online that looks to be cheaper:

http://www.olivus.com/Olive-Leaf-Capsules_c_42.html

From what you describe it does sound like fungus...these can be very difficult to clear up. You can buy OTC Lotrimin...the sort you would use for a vaginal yeast infection..and apply it to the areas. It will take some time to clear it up but if you are consistent, it will work.

My sis had just what you have once and the only way she got it to clear was the antifungal lotions, sprays, powders, etc. That was way before we ever found or used Olive Leaf Extract. It is very itchy and painful in the location you describe, especially in the summer and in humid conditions. Cool compresses each evening and leaving it open to air....let the fan blow the areas dry.