Need: Homemade ranch dressing recipe

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has a homemade ranch dressing recipe. All from scratch. LMK and Thank you :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I've got a good one on my blog...I'm just too laxy to type it all out again :lol: So here's a link. http://howellshomestead.blogspot.com/ just scroll down to the previous blog post. We use this ALL the time!! You can adjust thickness by playing with the sour cream/mayonnaise portions of the recipe. More sour cream will make it thicker like a dip, and more mayo makes it more pourable for salads.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I've got a good one on my blog...I'm just too laxy to type it all out again :lol: So here's a link. http://howellshomestead.blogspot.com/ just scroll down to the previous blog post. We use this ALL the time!! You can adjust thickness by playing with the sour cream/mayonnaise portions of the recipe. More sour cream will make it thicker like a dip, and more mayo makes it more pourable for salads.
Looks yummy!

No need to re-type it all, just select, copy, and paste...

Sunday, August 5, 2012
Homemade Ranch Dressing
What a week we had here on the farm! I was SO very glad for today, for the rest, and for the release of stress that has plagued me all week. When you have a mischeivous teenager, a new pup, bills piling up, and run a farm, Sunday is the best day of the week!!

Today I did manage to make some homemade ranch dressing, and made enough to split with the neighbors in the process. I didn't take pictures this time, but will do a tutorial soon. I make a base of homemade mayonnaise, then add the right spices and seasoning to make it ranch dressing, and wow is it good! Without the homemade mayonnaise base it is really a very simple recipe. It is better and cost less than what you get in the store. So, here it is if you'd like to give it a try....

Homemade Ranch Dressing
2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1 tablespoon minced onion or 1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

You simply incorporate all ingredients well and let chill for a bit before using. This allows all the flavors to blend and the final product is wonderful! If you start making this, you'll never want to buy storebought again! I began making this several years ago, when we found out my youngest daughter has an MSG intolerance and we couldn't find a brand she could safely consume. We have never even looked back! I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do!

goldenluver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
this is the one I use, it is the Hidden Valley recipe

Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
15 Saltines
2 cups Dry minced parsley flakes
1/2 cup Dry minced onion
2 tablespoons Dry dill weed
1/4 cup Onion salt
1/4 cup Garlic salt
1/4 cup Onion powder
1/4 cup Garlic powder
Salad Dressing:
1 tablespoon Mix
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 cup Buttermilk
Put crackers through blender on high speed until powdered. Add
parsley, minced onions, and dill weed. Blend again until
powdered. Dump into bowl. Stir in onion salt, garlic salt, onion
powder, and garlic powder. Put into container with tight−fitting
lid.
Store dry mix at room temperature for 1 year. Makes 42 1
tablespoon servings. To use mix−−Combine mix, mayonnaise,
and buttermilk.
Yield: 1 pint.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looks like I'm making ranch dressing soon. Thank you all. Looks great!! :D

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wonder what the purpose of the crackers in the dry mix is. Maybe just to keep the stuff separated and un-clumped? This looks like a great recipe.

goldenluver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think the crackers are what helps make it thick when mixed

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Can't wait to try this one:

http://www.anoregoncottage.com/2011/04/pantry-basic-best-homemade-ranch/

AOCs Best Ranch Dressing & Dip (Printable Recipe) *See UPDATE below*

1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. buttermilk (add 1-1/2 tsp. vinegar to milk to equal 1/2 c. if you cant find real buttermilk)
1 TB. lemon juice
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 TB. dried parsley, or 3 TB. chopped fresh
1/2 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. sea salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8-1/4 tsp. dried dill (to taste) or 1 tsp. fresh
Combine sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice in a pint jar or quart mixing bowl. Shake or whisk to mix well.
Add the remaining ingredients and shake (or whisk) again until well combined. If using a bowl, transfer to a dressing container with lid. *UPDATE: If you like your dressing thicker, mix the sour cream and seasonings first, then add the buttermilk slowly until you reach the desired consistency.*
Refrigerate one or more hours before using, and taste to adjust seasonings after dressing.
For a thicker dip: increase sour cream by 1/4 cup (or, conversely, add more milk, a little at a time if a thinner consistency is desired).
Shake well before each use.
Makes about 1-1/4 cup of dressing.