need homemade SOFT butter receipe

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We make great butter but would like to make some SPREADABLE butter..please help..can you just add olive oil to this before it goes in the fridge...what do they do in the factories? What do you do?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is scary. When I first posted how to make extended butter, some people ended up having a huge fight and beating up a new poster. So, here goes:

You can whip 1/2 cup of warm water (add slooowly) with one stick of butter, but it will be hard again after it's refrigerated.

You can also whip 1/2 cup of olive oil with one stick of butter, it won't be as hard as the water/butter mix. I could taste the olive oil, so I didn't care for this version.

I leave my butter out on the counter by the toaster. I never have had any go rancid, we use it up fast enough. I use a small plastic dish with a lid, so if it gets pretty warm in the kitchen and there's some melting, it's all contained.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
i leave mine sit out also except in the dead middle of summer. In the summer I take it out before I go to bed so it is soft in the morning--then it goes in the fridge. Sometimes I actually remember to take it out for dinner! :rolleyes: Just sharing what I do. Never had a problem!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a piece of pottery called a french butter dish... it keeps the butter at room temperature, submerged in water so it doen't go rancid but stays at room temperature. Change the water every few days and keep the butter full and it's great :) Also don't leave in direct sunlight or the butter will ooze out of the container :)

Here's a picture of a cutaway one I found online to show how it works... they are really common here, but we live in a french/english area:

img_3888hp.jpg

FarmGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
We have a piece of pottery called a french butter dish... it keeps the butter at room temperature
We have one of those too and around here they are called butter keepers - we love it!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm one of the warm-butter people...my butter dish is out on the counter all year long, with no issues. :) (even in summer when it melts & runs outside the cover, :lol: )

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love my butter bell ( my sweet sister gave it to me) :thumbsup and never have problems with butter going rancid.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I like it better set out as well, it wont go rancid to awful quick but its darn impossible to keep it soft in the fridge........