Need ideas for an avocado spread.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH and I love avocado, especially on sammiches!
However, I don't love the difficulty of eating it on a sandwich. It flops, it slides around, it falls out the butt of the sandwich, you get the idea.

What I'd like to do is make a nice batch of some kind of avocado spread that I could keep in a tub in the fridge, and just smear it on the bread.
Not guac, though. I'm wanting to make something that keeps the great avocado taste by itself. I love guac, but it's not what I'm looking for here.

I figured the blended avocado would need lemon juice to keep the spread pretty, but would that water it down too much and make it unspreadable?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
i like avacado, heavy cream, a bit of lemon, and spices (pepper, sometimes nutmeg)...

really easy spread.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think a bit of shredded cheese mixed in would help. I rarely go a meal without cheese :p

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ooo. cream cheese, avacado, and enough cream to make it spread?

mmmmm

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the way you guys think!
Cream cheese might be just the thing to thicken it up to spreadableness.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wasjust going to say "cream cheese...yum!", also something I always do is put the slices on the bread first then just use your knife to kinda cut the avo into lil cubes on the bread and smush it into the bread. Works everytime to keep it on the sammich! Also, use about a 1/2 tsp of lemon (or lime) per avocado, won't make it runny. FWIW, 2 avocados, lime, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper and 2- 4oz cream cheese=yum! When making this I use a knife to "mix", so you end up cutting the cream cheese into tiny lil chunks. Enjoy!