Need ideas for preserving onions!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went to the produce market today and they have onions... 21 for $2.00, and they are nice size. (don't ask me how they came up with the "21" though :/ ) Anyway, I didn't buy them, yet - need ideas. I have limited freezer space. I can dehydrate them, but maybe someone has another idea or two?

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Onion soup that can be pressure canned? (Disclaimer: I've never tried canning onion soup, so I have no idea if it would stay good.)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nothing original from me, I'd dehydrate some and saut and freeze some in useful amounts.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
Onion soup that can be pressure canned? (Disclaimer: I've never tried canning onion soup, so I have no idea if it would stay good.)
Great idea! I just found a recipe for canning French onion soup (cooking rice in onion soup is delicious so this is something that would get used).

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Onions should keep well by themselves. I've never had an onion go bad. I keep them fresh for cooking. i have yet to understand the need to freeze or dry them. :hu

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Onions should keep well by themselves. I've never had an onion go bad. I keep them fresh for cooking. i have yet to understand the need to freeze or dry them. :hu
I'm in Florida... hot and humid. They turn stinky and mushy fast, even indoors in the a/c.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can keep them for a long while due to our dry climate, but eventually one of them goes moldy. Dehydrating them makes them take up less space :)

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a dehydrator. I use a LOT of dried onions and garlic and veggies and fruit during the Fall, Winter and Spring months. Great for soups and stews and pot roasts, potato soup, flax bread, and so much more. I almost never use a "real" onion any more.

Yes, I realized I'm weird.
:ya

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How dry do you try to get the onions when dehydrating? I've never tried to dry onions but it seems like a great way to store them. I usually sun dry them for a day or two (depending on the weather) and store them in our root cellar. Our root cellar is an old cistern and the temperature in there fluctuates from 60*F in summer to 40*F in winter. Most do fine for 4 to 5 months and then I start to notice some quality degradation.

ETA: I guess if the onions are dry enough I could grind them into Onion Powder for use in recipes. Hmmmmm.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I make French onion soup and freeze it since I don't have a pressure canner. I also chop and freeze the onions so I can grab a handful as needed. Drying would save a boatload of space, but if you already have a freezer running, go ahead and use it.