Need input on debt reduction/settlement options

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Once you got their info in order---what was the first step to recommend?

I mean was there ONE big step to help yourself financially that you could suggest?

(Is it just stop spending?)--LOL
The first big step is a budget. LOL And all budgets have to have room for error. The biggest mistake that people make in a budget is not looking at everything. Lunches are one of the biggest under estimated item. Overlooked things like stops for coffee, grabbing a soft drink when you get gas. Its the little things that are budget busters. So the first step is tracking your spending for at least 2 weeks. Every penny. Take a note book and pen, write down every purchase, every penny you give the kids, etc. Two things happen. You become aware of your money, and you know where it is going.

Big Daddy, I am not a fan of most organized religions. And this may be fine for you or me or Joe Blow down the street. However, there are millions of people who in their heart do not agree with this and they must do what makes them feel right. So the best approach is to figure that money into the budget. Its not a matter of right or wrong. Its simply a matter of what works for each person. For those who are flexible on tithing but feel the need to make a simple offering great. Figure the offering into the budget. For those who feel that they must tithe thats ok too. Just figure it into the budget. And for those who don't go to church at all, well.....its just not an issue.

The biggest problem is we are human. We will work at this "change" for about 8 to 12 months and then we slowly slip back into old ways. Me included. We all need a refresher course annually to see where we are slipping.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think what I have against him is the tithing routine. Probably because I'm atheist and I've always viewed organized religion as a major scam.
Ahh...That makes sense. I just ignore that stuff and take with me all his good points.

I especially like his debt snowball idea. You take the smallest debt and pay that off first. In a purely mathematical sense, it might not seem like a good idea, but in a human nature sense, it is brilliant.

It gives you a sense of accomplishment (paying off that first debt) and gives you incentive to go on to the next goal.

Reaction score
I agree. I know I am being irrational. I'm also doing something I hate to see in other people. I will have to give myself 40 lashes tonight. The tithing thing gets out of hand sometimes. 3 years ago my mother was having some problems and was in an assisted living situation for a while. My older sister and I were going through all her financial documents so that my younger sister could take over check writing duties for my mother. In her paperwork we found a letter from her Catholic Parish. It told her what her donation for the year was based on her income. It also told her if she could not pay it all she could make monthly payments with 7% interest. I was absolutely floored. When she was lucid again I asked her about it and she said she had no intention of donating to that parish again. She now has a DVR in her room and records sunday morning masses. It works out well for her as she can fast forward through the sermon. I just love technology.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks 2dream

it makes sense #1 would be account for every dime. cause those dimes add up to dollars and alot of them very quickly. and that is why we all say---wow where did that $20 go that was in my wallet---GONZO!
LOL

good info!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you know it is funny that tithe is being mentioned alot because my mother in law Rachel told me something a few weeks ago......she went to visit her ailing friend who is having big money troubles. She knew her a long time and her friend said the pastor stopped by and asked where her money was and that it was expected. Even if she was too sick to attend it was very important she holds up her monetary obligations.
Whew....it didn't set well with her family obviously.

Come to find out in the conversation....he worded it in a way that came about to say----if you don't pay you are jeopardizing your way into Heaven. Oh YES--you know that didn't go down well either.

Well it is the talk among their group now about the bad pastor..LOL There has been talk of getting a rope and using a tall tree and more..LOL---oh yea, they are old fighters down here..haha

Hmmm....

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
you know it is funny that tithe is being mentioned alot because my mother in law Rachel told me something a few weeks ago......she went to visit her ailing friend who is having big money troubles. She knew her a long time and her friend said the pastor stopped by and asked where her money was and that it was expected. Even if she was too sick to attend it was very important she holds up her monetary obligations.

Come to find out in the conversation....he worded it in a way that came about to say----if you don't pay you are jeopardizing your way into Heaven. Oh YES--you know that didn't go down well either.

Well it is the talk among their group now about the bad pastor..LOL There has been talk of getting a rope and using a tall tree and more..LOL---oh yea, they are old fighters down here..haha

Hmmm....
Apparently she is a major contributor. In defense of most churches. They too have budgets, parsonage utilities to pay not to mention the pastor, plus the church utilities and bills. Most churches that expand ask for pledges. If the people that pledged don't follow through it makes it difficult for the church to pay the bills becaue they depend on the people of the church family to follow through. Kind of like a company saying they will pay you 10.00 an hour and then just before payday they decided to pay you 8.00 an hour. You built your life around the 10 an hour and now you find out you are only getting 8.
Don't get me wrong. That pastor mishandled the whole situation and it sounds like he handled it badly.

And this is why I no longer do organized religion. Sounds like the church planned poorly. There has to be a plan for those who don't, won't or can't follow through for whatever reason. Sounds to me like they planned on all pledges being met and can't handle anyone missing a single payment.

Reaction score
2dream said:
FarmerChick said:

I'm sorry, I can't help it. They should follow Daves advice. Pay cash for evrything.

Hmmm....
Apparently she is a major contributor. In defense of most churches. They too have budgets, parsonage utilities to pay not to mention the pastor, plus the church utilities and bills. Most churches that expand ask for pledges. If the people that pledged don't follow through it makes it difficult for the church to pay the bills becaue they depend on the people of the church family to follow through. Kind of like a company saying they will pay you 10.00 an hour and then just before payday they decided to pay you 8.00 an hour. You built your life around the 10 an hour and now you find out you are only getting 8.
Don't get me wrong. That pastor mishandled the whole situation and it sounds like he handled it badly.

And this is why I no longer do organized religion. Sounds like the church planned poorly. There has to be a plan for those who don't, won't or can't follow through for whatever reason. Sounds to me like they planned on all pledges being met and can't handle anyone missing a single payment.

cherylrichardson

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
2dream.
Overlooked things like stops for coffee, grabbing a soft drink when you get gas. Its the little things that are budget busters. So the first step is tracking your spending for at least 2 weeks. Every penny. Take a note book and pen, write down every purchase, every penny you give the kids, etc. Two things happen. You become aware of your money, and you know where it is going.
That advice also works for the first step for people wanting to lose weight or track what kind of foods they are eating.

Healthy or preservatives.

I agree about lunches. I maybe eat out once every three months. I started looking at what I could not only save by bringing my own lunch but how much healthier I'd feel.

After you get away from the Mcdonalds type of fast food it's amazing how if you stop and eat a burger there how crappy it tastes after bringing your own food daily. Kind of like stopping sweets and then taking a bite of cake and two bites is about all you can take cause the amount of sugar gets to you.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to attend a church where the pastor regularly said that if you were in need, to take money OUT of the basket as it was being passed.

I prefer fellowships that recognize that you don't need to lean on people to contribute, God will bring in what is needed. If it doesn't come in, then you are overextending beyond His plans. He is more about relationships than buildings and programs.

Granted, some structure needs to be in place, and buildings and such do need to be paid for. I get really irritated, though, with churches that just keep building and expanding, and adding program after program. Then they kinda HAVE to make sure people pay up and serve the church system, rather than concentrating on serving the membership and community. I really can't stand that.

Reaction score
I was raised a Catholic. Catholics are really into a lot of neat statues and gold stuff. The Parish we went to built a new church and the tabernacle where they kept the chalice cost around 10k. This was in 1972. They were very proud of it. Our church had long poles with baskets on the end. If you tried to take money out they shot you. Nowadays they just send you payment plans with envelopes.

Since then I have been in some other churches and I'm amazed at how stark they are compared to the Catholic churches. The cathedrals are really cool.