Need Low Budget Kitchen Remodel ideas

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Farm Fresh I have a single basin sink just like yours. Out in my yard. Just picked it up off CL a couple months back. It's gonna be my chicken sink. :D I have the metal shelves as well. They were used as a pantry in the house we knocked down. They sell canvas covers for them. I loved hiding all the clutter.

I like Bee's idea of open simple white shelves. Clean and neat.

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
In case they don't pick your area, I would get something that could be used somewhere else. I like the sink with metal cabinet idea since that could go outside and be used as a potting/garden sink.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Farm Fresh I have a single basin sink just like yours. Out in my yard. Just picked it up off CL a couple months back. It's gonna be my chicken sink. :D I have the metal shelves as well. They were used as a pantry in the house we knocked down. They sell canvas covers for them. I loved hiding all the clutter.

I like Bee's idea of open simple white shelves. Clean and neat.

g
Everyone needs a chicken/garden sink IMO! :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
What great ideas!

I have never taken a picture of that awful space (did I mention there is no window?) so I'd have to work on that one. Picture ugly as sin and ya got it. Hallway with a counter on one side, as it is a passageway to the main room and hall as well as kitchen, and a fridge across from the stove, with just enough space to open the oven door.
Only thing the space has going for it, is that one wall has an arrangement to hang all the pots and pans with a pantry below
I do happen to have a freezer and several more kitchen pieces that do not fit into the kitchen and perhaps I should move them all into that little bedroom. My husband likes to store large quantities of food and there just isn't anywhere to put it in there. We actually keep food in an outdoor locked shed which I find particularly annoying.
I love IKEA and should probably go there and look around. I also loved that link to the stainless steel sink with attached drainboards, I really really want one of those. That would be perfect and if I had to move, I'd just yank that sucker out and I'm sure it would be great as an outdoor sink or barn sink or chicken coop sink or anywhere in my future I need a sink, even laundry room. I'd have to find a used one, but my hubby was pretty intrigued with the idea.
I also like the idea of one of those rolling butcher block deals, then I could take that with too. I think I'll keep looking at the goodwill for one and some of the other consignment stores we go to a lot.
Now I know what to look for though! These are awesome leads for me!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is a big reason I went with the commercial sink I showed you.

I don't mind spending a bit of money (if I HAVE TO) but I am taking it with me when I go! :lol:

I will replace it with a cheap double bowl sink and "normal" cabinet before we sell. "Normal" people, that don't can and home process their own meats, wouldn't appreciate it properly anyway! :D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Go to the IKEA website and look under freestanding kitchens, the VARDE series is what I was thinking.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
An inexpensive countertop can be created from a hollow core door and a couple of base cabinets. I often see doors on craigslist for $10-20, and three-drawer plastic drawer units are $15 at Walmart and sometimes at Target. You could attach the drawer units to the door with a few screws, going through the inside top of the drawer unit into the bottom of the door.

If you take out the useless dishwasher, you could build in a few shelves for storage. Maybe pots and pans in there?

Pegboard painted a pretty color can hold a lot of small cooking implements like whisks and spatulas if you have the wallspace.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You guys are full of good ideas. I think I even have an extra door.

I realize I have an extra fridge and freezer we had no place for that maybe I should just put into that little bedroom. When we downsized, they went into an outdoor shed as we have no garage.
I wish I could start working on all these ideas right NOW! I want this kitchen outta here. I was thinking of just starting to demolish it and see what hubby says, just leave the sink, see if that gets the ball rolling for hubby. I've heard working with a sledgehammer is good for your frustrations!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a set of used cabinets on Kijiji (it's like craigslist) for $100... that gave me enough to make a functional kitchen, three lower cabinets, two uppers, a lazy susan, and two floating shelves. Although we haven't put it in yet.

Lots of people doing renos will post their old kitchens online, I just watched until I saw one that was similar to what we would have boughten if we could afford to buy new cabinets. And it cost less than one new cabinet. :)