Need more information about smoking meats, fish, ect?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was inquiring about building a smokehouse in the construction forum. What I hadn't known until I started doing more of my own research, that there's two different styles of smoking. Hot smoking (basically cooking) and cold smoking (preserving, but not cooking). I've read more about this, and have even recieved a few suggestions on books I should keep an eye out for as well. Untill I can actually buy those books I would like to know if anyone has any recommended links I could read?

Thanks a bunch!

Jax

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jaxom said:
I was inquiring about building a smokehouse in the construction forum. What I hadn't known until I started doing more of my own research, that there's two different styles of smoking. Hot smoking (basically cooking) and cold smoking (preserving, but not cooking). I've read more about this, and have even recieved a few suggestions on books I should keep an eye out for as well. Untill I can actually buy those books I would like to know if anyone has any recommended links I could read?

Thanks a bunch!

Jax
Well I posted this link somewhere after mentioning that the A. Brown rig was a smoker cooker and a smokehouse usually was not, but was a method to add flavor to cured meats. I thought it was in answer to your post but my short term memory is not what it used to be. Here it is again and it covers all major ways of saving food at home. Free!
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/cure_smoke.html
~gd

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GD,

Thanks again for that link. You did post it in the other forum. And I read through it. It was after doing so that convinced me I needed more information on the princpals of smoking meats and such above and beyond what was already discussed on that website. For example that website states right off in the fish section that they would not discuss cold smoking at all.

A hypothetical situation I hope to do some day. I find a local farmer that's raising pigs. I offer to buy or trade for him to raise one for me for me. When time comes he slaughters the pig for me and perhaps even quarters it as well. I bring home what he's done and continue butchering into hams, roasts, bacon, ect. Some I'll want to smoke (preserve) before freezing, or any other means of storage. Some I'll want to smoke/cook... like Alton brown's show on pulled pork (YUM!). Can I do both smoking (preserving) and smoking (cooking) inside the same structure?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jaxom said:
GD,

Thanks again for that link. You did post it in the other forum. And I read through it. It was after doing so that convinced me I needed more information on the princpals of smoking meats and such above and beyond what was already discussed on that website. For example that website states right off in the fish section that they would not discuss cold smoking at all.

A hypothetical situation I hope to do some day. I find a local farmer that's raising pigs. I offer to buy or trade for him to raise one for me for me. When time comes he slaughters the pig for me and perhaps even quarters it as well. I bring home what he's done and continue butchering into hams, roasts, bacon, ect. Some I'll want to smoke (preserve) before freezing, or any other means of storage. Some I'll want to smoke/cook... like Alton brown's show on pulled pork (YUM!). Can I do both smoking (preserving) and smoking (cooking) inside the same structure?
It is going to take a lot of hardwood to keep a smoke house to cooking temperature. Check out www.sausagemaker.com
He used to have a great catalog with lots of usefull information. Of course he wants to sell you equipment, chemicals (oops a dirty word for this site) videos and his book of recipies. That other site I mentioned is the PC version of 'Official' methods etc. Good luck it takes some skill to cure Real Ham or Real bacon and frankly I don't remember a whole lot about smoking fish in the catalog...~gd PS here in NC we have a party called a pig picking Either a whole split pig or half of one is slow cooked in a rig usually make out of a 300 gallon oil tank split down the middle. fired by propane, charcoal or if you are a real master hardwood. The host usually provides the pig, rents a rig and a operator and the guests provide the 'sides' drinks and desert. The pig is usually started the night before and a few men hang around to help out (and often get plastered) while the pig is cooking. The pig is mopped with cooking sauce (every one has their own flavor and maybe 6 to 8 sauces will be made for dipping All the way from mouth burning hot to just vinegar and bell peppers for the kids and the ladies, select your own heat and taste.....Bed time for gd.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Cold smoke and hot smoke(cooking) is two entirely different animals.
I can cold smoke or hot smoke in my smoker, but your gonna be very hard pressed to hot smoke in a smoke house. When I make my pulled pork, I keep the smoker around 225 to 235 degrees, and that is the temp at food level,NOT what the rest of the smoker is actually at. On an 8lb piece of pork butt, it will take about 10 hours to get to 190 degrees internal meat temp. 235 at the grate, may not sound like much, but after a couple of hours, the rafters in your smoke house will be ready to ignite. :hide

Better to use a real smoker and LEARN how to use it. The best way to do that is practice, practice and more practice. No amount of book learnin' will teach you the little secrets of your particular smoker.

Mine is an offset, reverse flow smoker made out of 1/4 inch plate steel. It affords me VERY stable temperature control. That plus charcoal and wood selection is the biggest secret to consistently good smoking/cooking.

Before the shelter.......
347286392.jpg

In the shelter......
381250624.jpg

Charcoal supply
284129726.jpg

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN

WOW!!! that is one sweeeeet smoker ya got there! I love it! Once I get squared away, would love to see some more details, can fashion one up myself when I get another welder. Really like the set up you have with the shack. Great setup! Where in the world can you order or buy that much charcoal at once?!!! Please let me know, I think I might need to buy some stock in that company! LOL

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Jaxom said:
SKR8PN

WOW!!! that is one sweeeeet smoker ya got there! I love it! Once I get squared away, would love to see some more details, can fashion one up myself when I get another welder. Really like the set up you have with the shack. Great setup! Where in the world can you order or buy that much charcoal at once?!!! Please let me know, I think I might need to buy some stock in that company! LOL
The little stack close to the door is Wicked Good, Weekend Warrior blend lump charcoal. I ordered a full pallet of it and that is what's left. The BIG stack is Rancher. It was a new idea when it came out a couple of years ago. It is the very first ALL NATURAL briquette to be produced. No petroleum products in it at all. Home Depot was selling it as a loss leader two years ago, so I bought a couple of bags to try out. You can guess that I fell in love with it! I bought every bag they had(2 1/2 PALLETS FULL!) for 2.99 per bag!! Royal Oak sells for 7.99 per bag at WalMart!!

Go here to learn everything you ever wanted to know about lump charcoal!
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dunno, I prefer hardwoods, even for grilling. Although I do have a gas tail gating grill for picnicing. I actually prefer hard woods, or my fav apple for bbq/grillin'. Did you build that smoker/grill yourself, or buy it? I have a design question.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Grasshopper........you have much to learn. ;)

Charcoal is for heat, wood is for flavor, but charcoal can and does impart it's own taste. ( kingsford=:sick )
Think of them both as spices, with wood having the strongest flavor capabilities, and use them accordingly.

I am an auto mechanic by trade and am very proficient with a welder, but, to save me time and money, I had my smoker built to my specifications by a gentleman in Georgia. I wanted a reverse flow with an offset fire box, and that was his basic design for all of his smokers. I had him make mine a little bigger than the normal "patio" style. I also had him incorporate a grill/griddle combination in the top part of the fire box. So it is really a combination smoker/grill/griddle.
The fellow that built it for me rolls his own steel for the cooking chamber so he can make them any size, within reason. He normally mounts a smoker of this size on a trailer, for competition use, hence the large firebox. I also had him install the cooking grates(stainless steel) about 4 inches above the flow plate, and extend the smokestack down to within 4 inches of the grates. This way, the food is "suspended" right in the heart of the heat and smoke, but never actually gets near any flame or hot metal. No matter how hot you get this smoker, there is no way it can flare or start a fire in the food chamber. I have two large stainless steal food trays that I put under the grates, and fill them with water. This helps in keeping the food moist and helps with the temps. Feel free to ask any design questions and if I can't explain anything clear enough, I will take pictures for you.

When you are ready, we can discuss smoke quality and what to strive for, for the best flavor when smoking meats. All smoke is NOT created equal!

Reference guide for Woods used to Smoke Food

ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite. When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy. Is a very hot burning wood.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning woods.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Other internet sources report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: AVOCADO, BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA, OLIVE, BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking.

Types of wood that is unsuitable or even poisonous when used for grilling. Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CEDAR, CYPRESS, etc.

There are many trees and shrubs in this world that contain chemicals toxic to humans--toxins that can even survive the burning process. Remember, you are going to eat the meat that you grill and the smoke particles and chemicals from the wood and what may be on or in the wood are going to get on and in the meat. Use only wood for grilling that you are sure of.

If you have some wood and do not know what it is, DO NOT USE IT FOR GRILLING FOOD. Burn it in your fireplace but not your smoker.

Also ELM and EUCALYPTUS wood is unsuitable for smoking, as is the wood from SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER trees.

Here are some more woods that you should not to use for smoking:

Never use lumber scraps, either new or used. First, you cannot know for sure what kind of wood it is; second, the wood may have been chemically treated; third, you have no idea where the wood may have been or how it was used. For all you know, that free oak planking could have been used in a sewage treatment plant.

Never use any wood that has been painted or stained. Paint and stains can impart a bitter taste to the meat and old paint often contains lead.
Do not use wood scraps from a furniture manufacturer as this wood is often chemically treated.

Never use wood from old pallets. Many pallets are treated with chemicals that can be hazardous to your health and the pallet may have been used to carry chemicals or poison.

Avoid old wood that is covered with mold and fungus that can impart a bad taste to your meat.