Need Picture Frames...any ideas?

risurocket

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good ideas or advice on how to make my own picture frames for rather large poster size pictures? I have been wanting to frame some of these for years and all of them are custom sized and would cost a fortune to go have professionally framed.
TIA for your ideas! :)
Oh, almost forgot...I have access to potential lumber, but I do not have *free* access to glass.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Craft 2000 has frame parts....if you want to go for store bought framing, they have different size sides and styles so you can construct your own custom-made frames.

Old barn board looks great and I've seen this work beautifully if you have a good miter saw, or can construct your own miter box for the joints. I've even seen them without mitered joints and this looks good as well.

Old wooden windows make excellent frames but, unfortunately, cannot be custom fit to your pic if you want to keep the original cut and condition of the window.

If you have a particularly vivid poster, some look better when mounted on a poster board with just a plexiglass covering...no frame needed. They sell the clamps for which to do this also at Craft 2000.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I had a similar problem (large, rather unusual-dimension poster size prints). It took about 3 years of travelling around with their measurements and a tape measure in my purse, but as of last winter I *finally* found a frame for the final one :D Garage sales and thrift stores are your best bet. I do not think I paid more than $5 for any of mine. One was free, at the curb on garbage day.

Making your own frame will require the ability to cut a *very* precise 45 degree angle - hint, cut it a little more than 90 degrees in the other plane so you can gently pare the edge back to get a really tight-looking fit from the front of the frame - and unless you want it to bulge out from the wall a bit, you will need a router too). You may still want to look for secondhand poster frames, to use the glass/plastic out of them.

Have fun,

Pat

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this does not apply to prints already done, but my mamas an artist and she frequents yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores in search of cheap pictures already framed she will then cut her canvas down to match what ever frame she chooses to use, she has gotten some really great framed pictures for a buck or two with frames that would have cost her a bunch.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Another thing I did years ago was, if they are not really valuable prints, was to sandwich the print between backer board (could be anything from cardboard to plywood,) and glass, then use mirror hangers (those little plastic or metal clips to hold up bathroom mirrors) to attach to the wall. Also for small things, I used cloth tape arount the outside of the glass, print and backer board to make the effect of a frame- not really for hanging- just propping up.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can get that stuff, you know... (holding thumb and index finger about two inches apart)

You'd buy it at the hardware store to make a frame around your door... something trim. made out of wood (or wood-looking material.)

You can buy 8 ft lengths of that for a couple of bucks. It comes in a variety of styles from very plain to very ornate.

That's what I'd get if I wanted to make picture frames.

Cassandra

risurocket

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you for all the ideas! Keep them coming, please. I have access to lumber that could work very well, but not the miter. I am not sure if DH would want to do the angles for me again after he just made a door without a miter box.

But I am getting some good ideas, so thanks again everyone! Please keep them coming. You never know what might come out of a brainstorming session about picture frames. ;)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If you want them rustic looking you don't need to mitre the corners...alot of my frames have no mitre cuts and I like those even better. You can burn some kind of design into the corners to dress it up.