Need recipes using Deer steak and Deer Loin

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have about 20 packages of Deer steak and 10 packages of Deer Loin in my freeze. I don't have any recipes on the best way to cook them. My husband is a deer hunter. In the past, we would just get the whole thing ground up. I would use the meat in chili, taco meat, and other things that you couldn't tell it was deer meat. My husband isn't a fan of just eating in plain. So I need recipes, that I can cook the meat so it doesn't have the wild taste as much.

Thanks!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used some cubed deer steaks in some shepherds pie the other day. But, I will pressure cook things like that first. Ground can just go in anything that usually gets ground beef.
The ones we get, from SO's mom, and friends, haven't been gamey.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ground is number one packaging for us

loin, well we eat one good recipe and it is eaten fast and gone fast LOL so I don't need alot of ways to cook it cause it is very small part of the whole package and is consumed very fast lol

first big deer was mainly ground

second small deer I did mainly cubed. cubed I find is better than just a steak because the processor already poked the holes in it...got that extra tenderizing already when I unwrap. being that I can do a bit more with it wihtout having to do it myself

so favs are cubed and ground here

key on deer if you are not a fan is ground and use like hamburger and add those spices.

if you are not a fan of deer, steaks are 'hard to cover' in taste and texture.

so think of the ground as a huge supp to cover that ham. you would buy in store or if you process a beef, you don't need ground. get the beef in the steaks and other cuts.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Either cook it in a bit of hot sauce or vinegar, or soak it overnight in vinegar. Vinger tenderizes, we just often skip that step and cook it in hot sauce, but we're big fans of spiciness.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A couple people told me to soak that deer meat in milk overnight to get rid of the wild taste.

BUT, my absolute favorite recipe? Slice that steak up in thin strips that are cut about 1" wide. Place a slice of bacon on top of the deer meat, roll it up like a cinnamon roll and poke a toothpick in it to hold the end. Place them over charcoal and grill until done. Good stuff.

I'm going to try soaking a small deer roast in milk tonight and see how it tastes tomorrow. Update to follow...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Been eating deer all my life and never had to soak one piece of meat....the "wild" taste is just not present when the animal is handled correctly after the kill.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Been eating deer all my life and never had to soak one piece of meat....the "wild" taste is just not present when the animal is handled correctly after the kill.
That's what I was told. Been good deer meat so far. We have 2 or 3 different sources.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Take your loin and put a little butter then I put on a lot of lowrys season salt and a little garlic. Tightly wrap in alum foil and slow bake for a few hrs. Serve on top of mashed potatoes or rice. We also do this with italian dressing, and ranch. 2 ways with the ranch... reg ranch dressingrolled up in foil or take bread crumbs and mix in dry ranch powder-we have done this with and without the foil, it gets crunchy without, kinda soggy with. Maybe if you open it toward the end... but you can use any kind of spices you like.

Steaks we do mostly plain,but we also do breaded in bread crumbs with lowreys season salt and ms dash then I make a gravy with the leavings and (canned mushrooms).

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marinate loins in italian dressing for a few hours, add some wine if you like. Then wrap it in bacon, season as you like and grill to your liking.
Good eats!