Need Rubber Gaskets for old cannign jars

SKF

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am reusing old ball Jars that has been sitting in my MIL cellar for nearly 20 years. However I need to replace all the rubber gaskets. Does anyone know a cheap place to buy these items? I really don't have much money to spend and plan on doing some serious canning this year.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i did a simple google search for jar seals and came up with a pretty good selection of retailers

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I get them at the local hardware stores that sell canning supplies. They are more often found at the stores that sell supplies year-round. They are about $3 per box of 12 here. I don't see them at Walmart or the stores that sell jars seasonally.

I just use them for dry goods and making yogurt. I store herbs and such in them, too. Also, sauerkraut and other fermented veggies. I pressure can, so I don't can in them.

I love the look of these old jars!

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you are still looking for these I found them at the local cole's hardware store. I am not sure how much they were though.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
SKF said:
I am reusing old ball Jars that has been sitting in my MIL cellar for nearly 20 years. However I need to replace all the rubber gaskets. Does anyone know a cheap place to buy these items? I really don't have much money to spend and plan on doing some serious canning this year.
I am not sure what you mean by "rubber gaskets". If these are the really old jars where the gasket fit up inside the full lid I am not sure you can find those. Plus I am not sure they are safe to use if you can find them.

Since old jars should be the same size as the new jars you might want to consider buying the new lids and rings.

Here is a site with interesting info on the history of canning jars.
http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.com/html/resource_of_canning_jars___zin.html

:welcome