Need some help with a paper I'm writing for school

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
It's been a LONG time since I've been on. sorry! :)
but I need some help.
I'm writing a paper on the trend of people trying to work their way out of debt and toward being a more self sufficient family.
this is where i need help. I have to site articles, statistics, facts & examples.
I'm drawing a complete blank and my usual ability to "google" such a need is gone.
can ya'll help?

thanks,
-Angela

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Can't help you with this slow computer, but two things come to mind right away....the dramatically increased sales of seeds, plants, canning supplies, etc in the past couple of seasons. Also, the increased sales of chickens and the increase in the number of people with backyard flocks, even in the suburban and urban areas. Must be some statistics out there. I've seen articles on these subjects in the past. When my folks were living in Maine last year, my dad sent me an article from....um...Portland? where people were being encouraged by officials to have a backyard flock. It was interesting.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh that would be good! (Hey Free! long time no talk to :D )

I'll do some looking. if you think of something like a study or an article, let me know. I have to cite facts and statistics.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
compare stats on economy and seed sales. Do seed sales increase during downturns?

I saw some stuff on yahoo news about people moving out of citiies during recessions....

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh that's good too!
ya'll throwing ideas at me help get the old wheels-a-turnin'.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
compare stats on economy and seed sales. Do seed sales increase during downturns?

I saw some stuff on yahoo news about people moving out of citiies during recessions....
what's the word for the seeds we get? is it residential seed sales? I don't care what the commercial farmer seed sales do during a recession.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't think you would have to worry about it. Demand for food doesn't increase during a recession, so commerical/industrial seed sales should be relatively constant.

Also see if you can compare hybrid seeds to heirloom seed sales!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
As for the getting out of debt angle, just google DAVE RAMSEY