Need some ideas....

EggsForIHOP

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We need some clever frugal ideas! Ways to save money! A little background info....

I guess this year is the year we are on a roll at our house. We have been talking forever about becoming more independent from Wally World, and conserving energy, etc...This year we are finally doing it! Some stuff not really saving any money, but fun as heck (like the chickens - spent a small fortune on a coop, but hoping for eggs one day, and they are a load of fun!)

Our goal is AT LEAST one new improvement each week. But we are beginners at this, so ideas and hints would be much appreciated!

Things we have already done:
- homemade yogurt (were spending a fortune on it as I could live off of the stuff)
- homemade detergent (didn't blow up the washer and the clothes are clean)
- hanging out as much to dry as possible (socks and undies still went in the dryer though!)
- chickens (still waiting on eggs and have have 4 'packing peanut' roos that will one day be dinner)

I think the first week of June has been productive...what else can we be doing? I am not as creative as I look :p ALL ideas are taken seriously and appreciated! I know there is more I can do, but I am stumped!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We make our own window cleaner. Use mint flavored rubbing alcohol and white vinegar.I'll have to dig up the recipe.
We also buy our groceries in bulk when they are on sale, then we break them down into meal sized portions and freeze them or vacuum seal them. That goes for everything that you use in the house, like canning jars and lids, meat, potatoes, rice, sugar, flour, salt, etc. etc. ONLY buy when on sale or a great deal and stockpile the stuff. We also go in with some friends or relatives, and raise a lot of our own meat. My cousin and I are in the process of raising 75 boiler chickens for the freezers. We split everything down the middle. Some of these birds will be processed into meal sized portions and some will be processed into ground chicken patties, vacuum sealed and frozen. I do beef the same way with a neighbor. Still haven't found anyone willing to go halves on a couple of feeder pigs though...........

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, me me!!!! :weee Can you ship??? Skr8pn, I would love to support the pork in any way.

Eggs, just some things I did early on.

I changed all light bulbs to CFL's
I turned down the heater and put on extra blankets, summer is coming maybe the opposite. Try to live without AC. (that's my summer goal)
Do you garden?

I do the same as Skr8pn, I hunt the sale adds and buy in bulk. Try to omit the processed stuff from your menu. Not only will you save money but get healthy.

Eat in!!

Use it up!!! Don't buy any house hold cleaner until what you have is gone. Someone around here suggested that last year and I am still going. Works with shampoo as well. :D

Reuse and recycle!! I use my coffee cans(plastic) for garden pots. Don't throw stuff away if it might serve another purpose. Don't hoard and bury yourself but think twice before you huck something.

Here's another one. Not by choice but due to budget cuts I had to cancel all extra services on my house phone. I have no caller ID, Call waiting, any of those items and don't miss it. I also canceled my long distance package and use only my cell phone for the calls.

Hummmmm???? If I think of any more I will let you know.

:D gina

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh gosh, there's so much! And I can't even do the chickens, or gardening stuff yet! Make your own soap from scratch, then use the soap to make your laundry soap! Make bread, your own snack food such as granola, make gifts by sewing or knitting or crafting, reduce how often you eat out (and marvel at how much better you feel), make your own broth (chicken, beef, etc) oh there are so many more!

ETA: The other post reminded me. Cut as many subscriptions as you can, I only get local channels for tv and many just cancel it altogether. I was at my parents house, and they have extended cable and there was still nothing on. Shop at Goodwill. Goodness I love that place. I got almost all of my soap making supplies there. You can make home decor stuff yourself, too.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh golly.. there is so much you can do:

eat what you grow, grow what you eat, commit to being organized so you dont have to eat out, dont ever pay for take out pizza again, stop buying soda, dont go to movies - go to the library for FREE movie rentals, get rid of cable - catch your shows on hulu.com, buy whats on sale, work the 'grocery' system, use it up, wear it out, make due, and just stop watching tv.... that way you wont become a senseless victim of marketing...

dump all your subscriptions (except for Small Farmers Journal!).. buy only used books (that you've already pre-screened at the library), make every trip in the car count, give up trying to make anyone happy by buying something.. give your time instead.

and get rid of that cell phone! i got one at the dollar store for $10 and use it by the minute.

:)

EggsForIHOP

Power Conserver
Reaction score
THANKS EVERYONE!!!! I didn't realize until now how much we had already done!

I think this week our goals shall be:

start a garden

actually look at the sales ads! (I usually leave them in the mail box too long to be good still)

a trip to Goodwill - haven't been by there in ages and there are a few things we might get lucky and find:)

I think I have found some more inspiration!

Oh, btw, we switched to Cricket cell phone services and got rid of the house phone, 86'd all the magazines except western horseman (which DH would die without), and have not bought ANY cleaning supplies besides the stuff to make the detergent in a month! SO I guess we have been on a roll longer than I was thinking!

Keep shooting me ideas and I shall make myself a calendar of things to change! Ya'll are freaking awesome!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
- Homemade laundry soap.

-. Line dry your laundry

- Bake your own bread.

- Make your own convenience food

- Plan a weekly menu.

- Make a list and stick to it when grocery shopping.

Figure out Need vs. Want.

- When items are on sale, stock up.

- Only cook and serve what wll be eaten.

- Cleaning supplies. soap and water, and vinegar will take care of most everything.

Stop buying disposable things, like paper towel, kleenex, swiffers, and other use once/throw away items.

- Deodorant crystals.

- Learn to do small repairs, or even big ones, yourself.

- Turn your thermostat down a few degrees

- Turn down your water heater.

- Use Power strips.

-. Plan your errands.

- Start ignoring commercials!!!!

- Shop around, from everything to insurance, to that new toaster you need.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
EggsForIHOP said:
THANKS EVERYONE!!!! I didn't realize until now how much we had already done!

I think this week our goals shall be:

start a garden

actually look at the sales ads! (I usually leave them in the mail box too long to be good still)

a trip to Goodwill - haven't been by there in ages and there are a few things we might get lucky and find:)

I think I have found some more inspiration!

Oh, btw, we switched to Cricket cell phone services and got rid of the house phone, 86'd all the magazines except western horseman (which DH would die without), and have not bought ANY cleaning supplies besides the stuff to make the detergent in a month! SO I guess we have been on a roll longer than I was thinking!

Keep shooting me ideas and I shall make myself a calendar of things to change! Ya'll are freaking awesome!!!
You are from Conroe???? Shoot, I was going to give you my homemade deodorant recipe, but I doubt it will hold up to your heat. :/

I lived in S. Texas for over 30 years...just moved up here almost two years ago...after Ike.

How is the gulf looking?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Things to look for while at the Goodwill:

Dehydrator

Bread Machine

Juicer

Meat Grinder

Foley Mill (google it if you don't know)

Canning jars (around here they are priced too high - I might as well buy new)

Fold up wooden clothes drying rack

Pretty jars (to keep herbed oils, bath oils, laundry powder etc in)

Crocks

Big Stainless steel bowls or Stock pots. A lot of stuff needs a big pot (rendering lard, soaping etc..)

Cast iron cookware (you will never go back!)

Pressure canner

Water bath canner (again look them up)

Seal-a-Meal

Can you think of more stuff guys?