Need Vegetarian canning recipes!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a pressure canner for Christmas ans JUST figured out how to use it. I'd like to can soups, pasta sauces, fruits and veggies(when they're in season again). I'm having a hard time understanding what I can and cannot CAN in the canner. :p Can I take my favorite soup recipe and can it in jars? For example, vegetarian spit pea soup, lentil soup, vegetable noodle soup, alfredo sauce, vodka sauce, pesto sauce etc? I think I heard somewhere that I can't add barley or pasta or rice? HUH? Why not? Are there other things I cannot CAN? I'm so confused and I can't find the answers!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also want to can condiments that we use like crazy: ketchup, mayo, salad dressing, bbq sauce etc.......

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
All of the above is possible, find a good canning book (I'm partial to the Ball Canning books) and the horizon is endless!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
All of the above is possible, find a good canning book (I'm partial to the Ball Canning books) and the horizon is endless!
I have the ball blue book. There are very few pressure canning recipes.
Do you know what the deal is with adding pasta, rice or barley to soups???

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:pop

I'm wantin' to pressure-can vegetarian stuff too, so I hope you get some answers! :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Really on the canning book? :idunno Tomato-based (and other high acid) items can be boiling-water bath-ed, but I pressure cook almost all of my soups or items with meat. I know you said vegatarian, so it would be the same, just without meat. I BWB my relishes because of the vinegar.

The pasta, rice, etc. stuff, I guess I didn't think about, since we just toss those in "fresh" as we are preparing dinner. I don't think they hold up to canning. You also don't want to add dairy prior to canning either.

I can a lot of potatoes.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Really on the canning book? :idunno Tomato-based (and other high acid) items can be boiling-water bath-ed, but I pressure cook almost all of my soups or items with meat. I know you said vegatarian, so it would be the same, just without meat. I BWB my relishes because of the vinegar.

The pasta, rice, etc. stuff, I guess I didn't think about, since we just toss those in "fresh" as we are preparing dinner. I don't think they hold up to canning. You also don't want to add dairy prior to canning either.

I can a lot of potatoes.
Where can I find this information? I need to see exactly what I should not can. Also, how will I know how long to process my soups for?