Needing some encouragement - butchering chickens this weekend

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I finally made DH commit to a day to butcher some of our older hens that have slacked off, along with some roosters. "D-Day" is Saturday. Neither of us have any experience with this, but have read a lot about it. I have also religiously poured over every post that has come up about it. We have about 10 chickens on the "chopping block". I'm a little squeamish about it, but mostly overwhelmed by all the things we have to do, so I'm worried we will forget to do something, or mess something up. Do you guys have any last minute words of encouragement or advice?

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are only a few things you can mess up that matter.

1. Don't cut the entrails when you are gutting them. Work your hand in aroung them and slowly work them away from the walls of the body cavity, then pull them out and carefully cut around the vent to remove the whole lot. Sometimes it is a little difficult to pull the wind pipe and esophagus through the neck hole, but be persistent.

2. Make sure you chill the bird in cold ice water when done cleaning it up. This draws out the rest of the blood and quickly cools the body so that pathogens are less likely to take hold.

Those two things are safety related. If you do happen to cut the entrails, it isn't the end of the world. It's just safer if you do avoid it.

Everything else is pretty much multiple choice. Just pick the methods you like (slit or chop or pith; pluck or skin; wet pluck or dry pluck) and go with them.

You might find some of my favorite vids helpful:

These are all Polyface Farm videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4P229ArpZA&feature=channel
This one is my bud Grady:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pRXhY5LFCE&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2sdqNaesfI&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w20ftpefyww&feature=channel

This one is good for skinning chickens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgo6Qlaff_4

If you need a list of utensils, tell me which style you plan to use to kill and defeather and I will give it a shot.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
You're gonna do great!

ha! i just posted this today:
http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/09/meat-mutts-and-rooster-day-tips.html

must have been just for you (and AL!)
not too graphic and what we consider our best tips.

probably best "extra" tip for you - dont freak yourself out. dont over think it. you're a smart girl - you can do this!

:)

hey buster! i talked about you AGAIN in the post.... you're totally famous. down at the bottom i added some stuff for a gal who was going to work on turkeys. i gave a link to your World Famous monster turkey post

:)

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can do it, and it's not as hard as it seems.

Older birds, and heritage breeds will be harder to pluck and gut than the young tender meat breeds so don't let this experience turn you off doing meaties some day. I know I wondered how in heck anyone could do more than a few of these when I was just doing old layers, then my first experience at Cornish Cross it was like they fell apart in my hands by comparison. The age of bird really relates to how much connective tissue they have.

Skinning is a great idea if your making soup or stew with the birds, saves you skimming lots of the fat and saves you some plucking time.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My first time was about a month ago. Its not near as hard/scary/gross/heartwrenching as I thought it was going to be. I looked at many of the videos that Buster posted in my search for courage and they provided it:D

My Sweet Husband and my father in law both prefer a good knife. I personally was better with a good heavy pair of scissors for anything that the ax didn't do.

I might recommend that you start with planning to do just a few at first. That will allow you to take the pressure off to get lots done and give you time to learn, you and yours talk about how it went and what you might do differently next time.

4 is a good run for me. Thats a full run of pint jars!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for all the links. I feel like I should make up giant "cue cards" of the steps and hang them around the garage in case we get lost. I don't want to be getting on my laptop with bloody hands!

Our thought about doing a bunch was that, by the end, we would have the process down pat.

And this might seem like a silly question, but can we eat one right away? I feel like after all that work, I'd like to taste what I worked so hard on.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
the first time I did it, I brought the laptop in the shop with me where I did the deed( other than the killing) I looked at the pictorials step by step. Just to let you know, old birds are also hard to skin. I didn 10 about a month ago and after that, I went out and got a chicken plucker. ( we used it just yesterday to do chickens and ducks.)

You can do it!!!!!!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Thanks for all the links. I feel like I should make up giant "cue cards" of the steps and hang them around the garage in case we get lost. I don't want to be getting on my laptop with bloody hands!

Our thought about doing a bunch was that, by the end, we would have the process down pat.

And this might seem like a silly question, but can we eat one right away? I feel like after all that work, I'd like to taste what I worked so hard on.
While I have not done it yet myself here with my flock(they are so due) I have helped years ago on my Aunts farm- after plucking and cutting and gutting- you would be better off having venison that day and save your first chicken dinner for the next day and let your chosen first chicken soak in a bit of cold salted water or at least in the cold, cold fridge for a good 24 hours before cooking and eating.
They just taste better. And if you haven't been involved in butchering out before you may find that you want to give it a day or so.;)
I haven't plucked or butchered chickens in years, not since a teen and now in my (cough, cough, 40's, cough) I still remember the smell. I would rather butcher deer than chickens, but then I do remember the canned chicken meat and how wonderful it tasted and how it was well worth doing. In fact the same Aunt that I helped then is going to come help me cull a few of my babies this fall when it cools off. We are going to just skin them as they are all mostly over 3 years old and the skin is a bit scarred anyway.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dont be scared. its not near as bad as you think. We or I should say I do about 50 a year. I do sell some...and they are the cornishX, so its much easier. You wont wan tto eat one that evening...at least I never do. They are much better after they chill in the fridge, in water over night. Then rinse again, and do whatever...freeze, cut up, can...whatever you have plans for. The first IS the hardest....just remember, YOU gave that chicken a good life, and it is now returning the favor.....by feeding you and your family. :)

Latest posts