Needing to collect some TIPS

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The most important tip I've ever been given is PLAN AHEAD. Whether it is having wrapping paper for gifts, shopping for dinner, making fewer trips to town, using less water, planning ahead seems to take the surprises out of life (at least the inconvenient ones! :lol: )

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BBH, I can't really go over 50 word per tip, so I've been keeping the details of each tip simple. I'm not doing recipes and the like. If you have a children's tip that is short and fitting, though, I'd certainly like to consider using it.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's my favorite "going green" tip:

To scour out bottles or any container with too small an opening to get a brush into, use a funnel to put about 1 tsp of plain uncooked rice into the container, then add a small amount of water and shake, shake, shake.

This is the only way I've found to really scour out the pop bottles we use to feed our bottle baby goats.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SheriM said:
Here's my favorite "going green" tip:

To scour out bottles or any container with too small an opening to get a brush into, use a funnel to put about 1 tsp of plain uncooked rice into the container, then add a small amount of water and shake, shake, shake.

This is the only way I've found to really scour out the pop bottles we use to feed our bottle baby goats.
Oh, good. I have a couple little blue glass bottles I've wanted to clean and keep. Thanks.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Dace said:
Quality time with loved ones- Make your SS way of life a family project. Kids like to be outdoors helping. Garden together, build things together, tackle projects together but keep it fun.
Exactly! During the summer, our family time is spent doing work together :p So, I try to make it as fun as possible, playing "20 questions" with the kids while picking beans, fantasizing over what we will make with blackberries while we're picking them, listening to books on tape while we can food...

dancingbear

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Time Saving:
When I cook a dish that freezes well, like baked spaghetti, or homemade pizza, beans and ham hocks, etc., I make a double or triple batch, and freeze extra for future meals.

My DH is a truck driver, and usually takes food from home for his meals. I try to pack his meals to go while putting away left-overs. The same can often be done for work or school lunches.

Frugality:
I save lidded containers from cottage cheese, sour cream, yogurt and so on, to freeze home-made stuff like chicken broth, beans & ham hocks (see above), etc. I label with a black Sharpie, or a piece of masking tape to write on.

I save empty peanut butter jars and other large jars, both glass and plastic. I save them to store dry foods such as pasta, beans, rice, oatmeal, and such, safe from the dreaded pantry moth and others pests, and they stay fresher, too. That way I can buy dry foods from bulk bins, and not have a bunch of fragile plastic bags full of food in the pantry.

Canning-quality glass jars, I re-use for canning, and many others that have good lids, but may not be suitable for canning, I use for my homemade salad dressings and such.