Neighbor's well.......too close?

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm planning my vegetable garden. I can clear an area 90' x 90'. My neighbor and I just discussed where the property lines are, it's all good, except she is concerned about the fact that her water well is close to where the garden will be. I assured her that I don't use pesticides and it will all be organic, but just want to be sure I won't be causing her a problem. How far from her well should a vegetable garden be? The well is uphill from the garden BTW.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
While growing up, our garden was within 15 ft. of our primary water source, a hand dug well with a large hand pump.

The source of the actual water is so deep in the ground on more modern wells, that you would have to be using some serious pesticides and such, or large applications of fertilizer, to saturate the water table in your area over a long period of time to affect any wells in the area. Since hers is uphill from your garden, I can't see where it would have any impact whatsoever.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Strange topic for her to be concerned with. Do you have a fence. Might protect your garden from rabbits, children, dogs and armodellas....I'm only saying because of the old saying,"Good fences make good neighbors." This might not be too much of a big thing, although strange, but it might be a sign of things to come.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think it'd be fine. You will be using organic methods, and its up the hill soooo I think they may be worrying to much :)

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
O MY WORD!! Is it to close to the well. LOL. I'm pretty sure this neighbor and I wouldn't along. With a question like that I have to wonder a lot of things about this person. :th

I would put a fence up for sure. Good luck.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My neighbor isn't trying to give me a hard time about it in the least. She's just concerned, not knowing who I am really, and whether to trust that I won't be dousing my yard with chemicals etc. I did assure her that I'd keep in mind where her well was and wouldn't do anything that would harm her water supply. I also offered her fresh fruits and veggies once I have them. She's lived here for 32 years. If it were me, I'd do the same. I'm glad that it won't cause a problem for her! Settles my mind. Thanks everyone!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And yes, there will be a fence. We have many deer that would devour everything if I don't put one up.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, I would just do my best to assure her that you won't use any chemicals and fence the heck out of it. It's on YOUR property so do what YOU want.

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Her concern may simply be about you digging, you may want to be sure where her water pipes run and reassure her that you aren't digging up pipes etc.