Neiklot: A selfsufficient journey in Sweden

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hi neiklot! I'll be interested to see all the pictures from Sweden as well. I'm also curious about your winters there. It sounds like you have a lot going on, good thing you're young ;) Congrats on the upcoming forth addition to the family!

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Flowerhens..
:lol:

Blommehns in swedish, it's an old race, i don't know the word for it but "lantras" in swedish.

We have some Orpington? (Big), Lohman and Leghorn and some mixed races.
And then some.. mouscovy ducks? (googletranslation)

The winterns begins in december or in the end of november.
(This autumn has been very warm and some friends still have growing vegs in there gardens!)

It ends in march or and usely the first springflowers arrives at my birthday 4/4.

Where i live, it can be as cold as 25-30 celcius (It's like 77-86 Farenheit i think)

Some winters there is no snow at al, or just a little.
But now, some few winters have been real winters with about 50cm of snow.

Rather that then rain and mud.

Our rooster:

Hens:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Your winters are 25-30 celcius? WOW You can pretty much have a garden year round.

I think I like your tag line - if I translated it correctly. "The good thing about crawling to the cross is that it hardends the knees". Is that correct?

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
Your winters are 25-30 celcius? WOW You can pretty much have a garden year round.

I think I like your tag line - if I translated it correctly. "The good thing about crawling to the cross is that it hardends the knees". Is that correct?
Ah, im sorry!

I forget the MINUS.. 25-30C minus!

-13 to -22 Farenheit..

So about the garden year around : Nope.. :rolleyes:

And yes, it was correct. :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your winters sound cold like ours here on the Canadian prairie--do you get much snow in Smland? I have a friend who lives in Sweden, in a town called Pite but it is much further north than where you are.

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is the canadian prairie in Canada?

Like i wrote: "..about 50cm of snow. " sometimes, and sometimes there is no snow at all. :(

I have never been to Pite, it's about 1302 km (road-distance) and they have a lot more winter then we got down here.

Edit: I see now that you live in Alberta Canada, so i guees the Canadian Prairie is in Canada.. :):p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ice storms are my problem in Southeast USA.

they are a pain also but beats the work that snow requires. :p