Nest boxes for picky chickens...a little vent

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if this belongs in this category because it's more of vent than anything. My hens are making me crazy! Gahhhhh. 20 girls, 13 of them laying, alllllll want to use only one box. The box in the corner. And if they can't get in the box because it's taken by the nasty one who likes to spend hours in the box, they then choose to lay in the litter under the nasty, dirty roost area, or worse, make noise for hours on end until the box is free. (and a couple of my girls sing like nails on chalkboard) Nope, they will NOT go in any of the other boxes I have so thoughtfully placed around the coop. They will only lay in a box that is placed on the ground, in the corner, and God forbid I should try to stack them. Then all I hear is :rant angry squawking all day. I have discovered that any box must be tip-proof, and they will test them for that. For awhile I had them turned upside down so the girls could lay right on the floor and still be covered - like a little cave. They loved that, but the mice also liked it and it made me :sick.
I am at my wit's end. What am I going to do when all 20 of them are laying?
If you are still reading, thanks. I think I just need sympathy, or similar stories and solutions.
Maybe a large community box would work? I don't know. A couple of the so called ladies get pretty grumpy about their privacy. Seriously, I did not know chickens could growl. And it's scary.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I read your post thouroughly! :) I understand your frustration! I don't have nearly as many girls as you do, but mine also are very picky about where to lay their eggs...and it is all in the same nest box! They do the same thing as yours. Finally they form a line...and if it takes too long to get to the box, well then all of my neighbors will be notified accordingly. :gig

The one thing that does help me is to put some golf balls or any other "fake looking eggs" into the other nest boxes, scatter them about. This will notify them that other's trust the other boxes as a safe place to lay.

Good luck!
-Sally

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When we had about 10 laying hens, we didn't have the spiffy enclosed nests like you see online... We had what I can only describe as trays. Two trays with about three inches of cedar chips (because they refused straw or hay) and no "walls." They all used just one tray. But the tray was big enough that two could lay at one time! If your hens insist on the more private nests, maybe make a large one?

Aren't chickens funny though? I miss them so much right now. Even when they're so loud you want to smack them! We had one named "Loud Missy" she was the worst!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I feel for you. I have 7 nest boxes in my chicken house and they all want to lay in the same one! My DH built the nest boxes and they are a tad too small so I am going to tear them out and build 3 big ones. They are so funny though, like you said they sqawk and get all excited and mine try to pile 2 to 3 in that nest,..it is absolutley hilarious. BUT,..my eggs get broke a lot too :rant. Leaving fake eggs or golf balls will work, but let me warn you your hens may go broody with them "eggs" around all the time. Talk about growling??? Heck hath no fury like a broody hen disturbed on her nest! They can get MEAN! :lol: Who knows chicken logic???:idunno

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
As for keeping your girls from nesting under the roost area, what I have done is cordon off the area with 2x4 welded wire fencing.

My roosts start about a foot off of the floor and angle toward the back wall. I have the fencing stretched at the same angle, about 8 to 10 inched below the roosts. This keeps them out of the little area completely. I know it depends on how your roosts are set up, but it's just a thought.

BBH's suggestion about the fake eggs is a good one. Also, draping some heavy material over the entrance to the nests (with an opening for the to enter, of course), like canvas, to give the girls some privacy helps sometimes. Keep us updated.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So that is what all the caterwauling is about? Good grief. :barnie
Apparently mine all like the same box as well :smack

I only have 5 though!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just getting back to this.
Dace - yep, that is what all the racket is about. Oh my ears!

I have still not solved the problem. I bough 2 more boxes that I thought they would be attracted to, and some of the younger ones will use them, but only if it is in a corner. For heaven's sake, there are only 2 flipping corners! Not enough for 20 chickens who each like to spend hours at their daily task. :barnie
I discovered an issue today that tells me I really need to spend more time out in yard observing. We have at least one little @#$T% who insists on having the whole COOP to herself when it's her time. She chased all the others out, and she's pretty brutal about it. That went on for a couple hours. I thought the others would put up a fight, but they are not. And this hen is not at the top of the pecking order so I can't figure it out. So that explains some of the racket they have been making and I hauled her butt into the dog crate to until she lays to take her attitude down a notch. It's a little quieter now and I guess I'll do it every day if I have to. We will see how it plays out.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I feel your pain, I have 2 that will only lay in the shavings under the roost in the back corner of the coop. I have to practically lay in the coop with a cat litter scoop to get the eggs out.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I feel your pain, I have 2 that will only lay in the shavings under the roost in the back corner of the coop. I have to practically lay in the coop with a cat litter scoop to get the eggs out.
:lol: