Nest but what kind?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I assume this is a bird nest but anyone know what kind of bird made it?
IMG_20200428_181542355.jpg

It's empty...
IMG_20200428_181627768.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
House wren. Have them make several in our outbuilding each spring but they never follow through and actually set up house in them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
House wren. Have them make several in our outbuilding each spring but they never follow through and actually set up house in them.
You mean they make a nest but never lay eggs in the nest they made, that's crazy. This nest has been made for several weeks but no eggs yet.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just read this. Wow I never knew a female needed several houses to choose from. o_O

House Wrens and Dummy Nests

There may be no busier bird during the nesting season than a male House Wren. Just a day or so after completing his spring migration from the tropics, the male House Wren claims a territory and checks out several potential nest cavities. And in each of these locations, he builds a starter nest using virtually anything twig-like to get the job done — from nails and bits of wire to paper clips and hairpins. The male House Wren stays at it until a female pairs with him. Then she picks one of the starter nests and takes over construction.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I just read this. Wow I never knew a female needed several houses to choose from. o_O

House Wrens and Dummy Nests

There may be no busier bird during the nesting season than a male House Wren. Just a day or so after completing his spring migration from the tropics, the male House Wren claims a territory and checks out several potential nest cavities. And in each of these locations, he builds a starter nest using virtually anything twig-like to get the job done — from nails and bits of wire to paper clips and hairpins. The male House Wren stays at it until a female pairs with him. Then she picks one of the starter nests and takes over construction.

Never went house shopping with the little woman? :D