Neti-pot

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Help! I know I have seen a recipe for the salts that go into a neti-pot solution here before, but I can't find it. It is a mixture of table salt and sodium bicarbonate. I made a baggie full of the mixture, but can't find (and of course I didn't write it down!) how much to mix into 8 ounces of water for the proper isotonic strength. Any one have any ideas??

My SO is allergic to everything and now has a cold and the congestion is making migraines. "We" are miserable!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
valmom said:
Help! I know I have seen a recipe for the salts that go into a neti-pot solution here before, but I can't find it. It is a mixture of table salt and sodium bicarbonate. I made a baggie full of the mixture, but can't find (and of course I didn't write it down!) how much to mix into 8 ounces of water for the proper isotonic strength. Any one have any ideas??

My SO is allergic to everything and now has a cold and the congestion is making migraines. "We" are miserable!
I use a sea salt that was placed near the neti-pots at the store where I bought mine. I just looked around and saw a recipe for 1/4 teaspoon of each. Not sure it that's what you used in the past though. I swear by mine! Hope your son feels better soon!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here are two recipes I copied to my files some time ago:

1 tsp salt, non-iodized
tsp baking soda
2-3 cups water

tsp salt
tsp baking soda
1 cup water

Ideally, you want a .9% solution which is comparable to the salinity of blood. Most recipes call for about 1/4 teaspoon per cup. Even a little more is okay but do not use more than 1/2 teaspoon per cup.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What does the bicarb. do?

morgj

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The bicarb helps to "buffer" the salt to lessen possible stinging.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Thank you, Free! That was the one I was thinking of- I thought it was 1/2 teaspoon per cup of the mixture. Of course, last night I told her 1/2 tsp and she put it in the water in the neti bottle she has (plastic bottle with a straw type thing) and forgot to actually mix it. Hypertonic saline up the nostrils and into the sinuses :ep

I was really hoping it was because it wasn't mixed and not that I told her wrong about the 1/2 tsp! It probably killed all the germs, though :hide

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
morgj said:
The bicarb helps to "buffer" the salt to lessen possible stinging.
Oh thanks. I've been burned many times. Duh!