Neti Sinus Pot users take note, using plain tap water is not safe.

liz stevens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A rare but fatal brain infection can occur using a Neti Sinus Pot with plain tap water.

You may have already read or seen this in your local news but it is important to pass on as many are finding these sinus pots to be very effective in home treatment of sinus blockages.

This is a good news bad news story, because it is very rare and can easily be prevented. Many self-sufficient people have the Neti Sinus Pot a simple and effective natural way to relieve sinus issues.

The Neti Pot looks like a genie lamp, and allows you to flush out sinus blockages. The Neti Pot is still reported to be safe if it is used only with distilled or boiled water as tap water can introduce Naegleria, leading to an infection called amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM).

PAM is very rare disease with only 32 known cases over the past 10 years, however the last two most recent cases were connected directly to people using the Neti Sinus Pot with plain tap water.

The early symptoms of PAM may mimic a typical cold with headaches, fever, but turns quickly into nausea, vomiting, and a stiff neck. Then the disease rapidly attacks the brain causing dizzinesss difficult balance, hallucinations, leading to death within days to under two weeks of the diagnosis.

The other good news is that experts indicate it can only be contracted by contaminated water coming into the nasal passages, such as swimming with the head underwater in a poorly treated swimming pool lake or river. It is not contracted by simply drinking the tap water.

You can read more by logging on to the CDC Link http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Doesn't say a whole lot for the cleanliness of ordinary tap water.... :p
Clean and sterile are two different things! Stuff taken by mouth has to pass through quite a few immunity defenses. Taps are well known for holding bacteria since they are open to the air in some fairly dirty areas [kitchens & bathrooms] to have even a chance of getting a clean sample from a tap you will be instructed to let the water run for a time before taking a sample. Even in Clean rooms where sterile water is piped in it is SOP to run the water for a short period before sampling or using the water.
I was given the same warning when using my night breathing machine to prevent sleep disorder buy forcing air in through my nose. [It has a humidifier built in to prevent excessive drying of nose tissue]

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm a nurse...I get the picture! ;) :)
I did not mean to defend tap water, our local city water usually manages to be out of EPA water spec [one or another] most of the time. For Drinking I always boil it. I use that also for cooking if it will not be boiled in the cooking process. Even though I am a chemist I have not tried to correct the chemical problems which are minor except for the extreame hardness. Funny story I worked in a big Pharma plant {testing water and sewer samples] most of the time our sewer samples were cleaner than the incoming "drinking" water!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I think the title here is a bit misleading and/or alarmist.

I know what you are saying ~gd about the CPAP equipment. I always boil our well water and let it cool and then put it in mine.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Be aware that those CPAP are real prone to mold development...not sure what your manufacturers have recommended for that but in facilities, we have to really be careful of rinsing and drying the lines, mask, reservoir after each use or they will grow mold spores.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm a doc and I frequently recommend a neti pot and will use one myself when needed. Sorry, but unless that is known to be a problem in the local water it should not really be much of an issue.
Trim sends
//BT//

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
I'm a doc and I frequently recommend a neti pot and will use one myself when needed. Sorry, but unless that is known to be a problem in the local water it should not really be much of an issue.
Trim sends
//BT//
Whats up Doc! I agree that the problem is so rare that it should not be much of a issue. Safety is mostly a matter of assesment of the risk vs the steps needed to reduce the risk.~gd

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Still, when I make up my solution for my homemade neti pot, I always boil, then cool the water. Just in case. I have issues with my sinuses, so I always figured the extra step in using boiled water mightbe worth it.

Latest posts