Networking for a telecommute job

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been unemployed for 13 months now, and am trying some alternative ways to network about my skill set, breadth and width of my background in the work force, along with some of my efforts to source a telecommute position in client services in just about any industry. (I learn very very quickly!)

I've scoured the internet for the national players in "work from home"; looked at career opportunities within specific companies of which I'm familiar; reviewed Craigslist in various regions; got bogged down on those BIG job boards; done some proforma and quality of life analysis of a couple of entrepreneur type ventures; registered my resume in the state of CA database; etc etc etc.

As an effort to get the word out about a position with benefits, I'm now approaching a couple of the forums that I frequent. Members of this forum are widespread across the US, and part of networking is to touch those in other areas or industries for leads.

Ideas, suggestions, leads, or requests for personal information as applicable and necessary, will be very helpful to this gal on her job quest.

Thanks!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
cloud10corp.com

i work for them and paychecks have never had an error.

it's mostly at home call center.

they are definitely hiring right now.

:)

ratracerebellion.com has a lot of at home things but it's always hard to know what it legit.

my other computer has a link to a forum for at home workers that is great because you get the low down on all the various companies.

i'll look for it tomorrow. if i forget, PM me!

eta: no benefits at c10, unless you work at their main office in denver as a team lead or whatever. but they do pay you! lol.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Abifae, I looked at Cloud10 and couldn't get a grip on exactly what they do besides a sort of call center as you said but what is their hiring criteria?

I have set-up many work from home VPN's (Virtual Private Networks) for medical transcriptionists and the sort and seems that most that are worth their oats typically require you to work in the office first and then after proving yourself will allow home office privileges. If you don't keep up with the quota then its back to the office grind and no more pajama work for you. Don't quote me on this as it has been several years but when i had my computer shop it was a regular request.

I would be very cautious of any email type offers, especially from craigslist - if it were that easy then nobody would leave their house. The big scam indicator is if they ask for up front money to get the job as no legit company will ever ask that, even a job placement service gets its fees from the employer and never from you (though some may take a small percentage after the fact).

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I looked at Cloud10 and they don't hire in California. Dang it.

I've seen those solitications in Craigslist. If you copy/paste the tele number into a search engine, you find the same ad all over the US Craigslist. Definately don't follow up on those....

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
xpc said:
Abifae, I looked at Cloud10 and couldn't get a grip on exactly what they do besides a sort of call center as you said but what is their hiring criteria?

I have set-up many work from home VPN's (Virtual Private Networks) for medical transcriptionists and the sort and seems that most that are worth their oats typically require you to work in the office first and then after proving yourself will allow home office privileges.
It's a call center, but all the phone reps are at home. You VPN in to their desktop and log in to the phone system.

You have to have a desktop computer (a few allow hiring on laptops though) and hardwire connection (nothing wireless allowed). You need at least 3 mbps download internet and 2 gb ram. You need a headset with microphone.

That's about it. They hired ME so they aren't too picky lol.

They have all kinds of various projects. Anyone who hires contractors for call centers can hire C10. There is Comcast, and WildBlue and ummm... Qwest and AOL and quite a few others.

You train from home and work from home.

:)