New Additions

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our son picked up a few bantams a couple months ago. Before we knew it they had 22 eggs and 2 of the hens started sitting. Last Friday they started hatching. By Sunday we had 17 peeps.

335_camera_135.jpg

Shortly after they the banty's started sitting so did one of my hens. She was on 13 eggs. On Wed. they started hatching. We have 7 so far. Don't know if the other 6 will hatch or not.

335_camera_143.jpg

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
So much fun! :love So much, in fact, that even though I am still traumatized by George, I will keep a rooster from my recent batch of chicks so we can hatch out some more chicks next summer. If he is like his papa, though, he will be isolated in a pen and eaten after he does his job!!! :tongue

That is a lot of straight run chicks. What will you do with them all? Keep, sell, eat?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Cute pics! I especially love the first one. The chicks look as if they are paying close attention to the "Predator of the Day" lesson.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
punkin said:
Cute pics! I especially love the first one. The chicks look as if they are paying close attention to the "Predator of the Day" lesson.
:lol: I agree!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It is always fun to hear the little ones peeping . . . and to not have spent weeks hovering over an incubator expecting them! :D Have fun!

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Where to start?
Predators? In a way. The Banty coop is in the dog run area with the 5 dogs so they have quickly learned to hightail it into the coop when the dogs come out, even though they are completely enclosed and safe from them. The adult hens run free with the dogs. Unfortunately the dad of these little ones ventured outside the safety zone a couple weeks ago. We awoke to quite a ruckus in the middle of the night, and found some of his feathers the next day, so I guess we'll be picking out a roo to keep. DS wants to sell some, keep a few for more eggs, and if there are any left... stock pot this winter.
I have a " George" also.
335_camera_013.jpg

More than once I've had to give him a kick when he came at me with those spurs. Even tore my pants one day.
So can someone tell me what type of chicken the black mom is? I know all of ours are mixed breed, but she looks to be mostly one type and 3 of the peeps are all black as well.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:thumbsup The new additions are just beautiful! It looks like you have 2 excellent mama hens! And everyone looks very healthy!

Your black one could be Jersey Black Giant or Australorp. But whatever she is, she is a beauty!