New Baby stuff for under a hundred dollars

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I inherited a 14 month old girl three days ago. I will be keeping her indefinately. My husband wasn't too happy when I said "we gotta go shop for her" yesterday. I told him she needs a crib, a changing table, a jacket, sleepers, onesies etc. I was so excited but could see he wasn't ready to bust the bank.

Little did he know, I have friends at Sufficient Self who teach me the ropes.

I googled furniture on the web and found a place about thirty miles away that had a baby crib with mattress. It turned out to be a thrift store! I told the ladies that we just got the baby and that we would need everything a baby needs. We got a crib, high chair, jacket, six fuzzy sleepers, three outfits, a nice sweater from Isreal, six baby spoons, four crib sheets, a baby bath towel set, diaper hanger, a food pack shoulder bag and some onesies. I was so worried because I only had 100 dollars. Grand total......27 dollars! My husband cheered up when she said that. Turns out she gave us 23 percent off for everything too!

We went to Walmart and got the other particulars, pampers, wipes, bath soaps, and socks for 55 more dollars.

Then....I just had to ask my husband for a super big favor. I am 40 years old and getting rickety. I have trouble getting up after changing a pamper on the floor so I asked him to make me a changing table. He looked irritated. I drove slowly by the lumber yard and asked nicely again. He said you go in and get the stuff and I'll put it together. I was so happy!

I went inside and they drew out a table with a shelf underneath and gave me the legs and used some scrap shelves to make it look nice. I paid a grand total of 19 dollars for all of the materials for a three foot changing table with a nice shelf and top.

My husband kept looking at me like I hung the moon after that. He couldn't believe how well we stocked the house with baby things for so little money.

Just needed to brag a little and thank you all for your tips.

Sharene

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a great deal/steal :clap You should be so proud of yourself seeking out deals like that! Also, what a courageous, wonderful thing you are doing providing and loving that little girl. You warmed my heart and thank you for that :)

Good luck in all of your new adventures :D

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is great that you got so much for so little. And that is such a wonderful thing you are doing to help such a young child. Good luck. :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:thumbsup Amazing, and when I think of all the money I threw away buying baby things. Heck I got my bassinet for $80!!! I mean the baby only sleeps in that for 3 months or so. :th

Have you looked into cloth diapers and wipes? for wipes you can use washcloths, if you have a sewing machine you can cut some in half and hem them. I used washcloths and made some wipes and just used warm water to wet them first, nothing fancy - and it must have been a real treat for the little ones to get a nice warm bum wipe! :gig

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great job getting good deals! But as an adoptive mother, I am insanely curious to know the details of how you "inherited" a baby.

Did she come with a good car seat? Did you know carseats expire after 5 to 6 years? The plastic cannot keep its integrity after that amount of time and will not be able to keep the child as safe. And they should not be used after they have been in a car accident.

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's really great!
Make sure you check out if the crib has been recalled! There have been several recalls that were very serious. I was given a crib and it ended up being a recalled one and I was able to get a voucher and spent $45 for a brand new crib from Babies r us!