New beek. New pictures and new questions

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is my son's hive. I don't think it is doing so well. We got both hives on Monday. I let them settle for two days before I opened them up. In my hive, I have eggs, larvae, and capped brood. In my son's I have nothing, no eggs, no larvae, and half the bees. The queen cages in both hives were empty so I know they got out. I called the beekeeper I bought them from and he told me to let it sit for a couple days and see if anything changes, if not he would replace the hive.

It is kinda hard to see in this picture, but what is the orange stuff in some of these cells?

IMAG0134.jpg

What is this bee on the right hand side, about half way down? It's just a little bit bigger than than the drones I saw on the same frame, but it has the same shape. The thing that caught my eye was that it is a lot darker than all the other bees in the hive. This is the second time I've seen it in this hive.

IMAG0135.jpg

This is my hive. Middle of the frame about an inch down from the top, looks like the queen to me. Is that right?

IMAG0132.jpg

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can't help you with your questions, but thanks for making me shudder and hide under my desk with the raid....

:p

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi mandieg4,

The "orange stuff" in the first picture looks like honey. Honey can be many different shades. It depends on were the bees get the nectar.

I'm not sure about the second picture.

In the third picture, that does look like the queen. You have a very good eye if you can pick out the queen. I have a hard time seeing her in my hive.

Good luck with your bees. They are so cool! I love watching them!:pop

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hi--I think the orange stuff is pollen, the dark bee is a drone, and you spotted the queen! I agree that your son's hive looks sick.

Is the 2nd frame from your hive? It looks pretty populated... Good luck!

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The second frame is out of my son's hive, but it is the only frame that look likes that. His two outside frames are completely empty except for wax. The third frame is the top picture and the middle frame is the second picture. Almost all of my frames look like the bottom frame except for the two outside frames that look like the second picture.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
These bees look like the Italian 3 banded variety not the Black Caucasians. The bee you mention in the second photo might be a queen since it is quite a bit bigger than the others and a different color but another poster said it's a drone and I wouldn't argue that point. While I am NO bee expert, that is my guess.
Your son's hive definitely is malformed and I'd guess is sick from something but what is out of my skill-level.
Very interesting subject though. thanks. I'm picking up 3 packages tomorrow to put in my new hives. We'll see how this comes out.
Best
//BT//
Trim sends

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, interesting to see! I am getting my bees in about a month. The beekeeper is going to mark my queen so I can spot her easier. :D

I think the bees build out from the center, so the outside frames would be the last filled in.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
These bees are super mellow. I was really nervous the first time I opened the hive on Wednesday but today I didn't even use my gloves. I still feel like I have no idea what I am doing, but I'm enjoying the learning process more than I thought I would.