New Born chick bleeding!

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hey guys I just had some eggs one of my hens was setttin on hatch, well one of the little guys is bleeding profusely from his behind, he is the newest born so i was wondering if that might have anything to do with it... please help i dont want something to go wrong

ETA: sorry i know wrong place i thought i clicked on livestock. just got excited and missed the button

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it it's bottom or it's naval bleeding? If it is it's naval them I'd just try to separate it until it stops bleeding and it should be okay. If you have blood stop I'd put that on it maybe.

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think sometimes there is blood on them if they pipped through a vein on the way out... any chance that's what's going on? Either way, my biggest concern would be other chickens pecking it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I agree with the other two. Definately seperate it if it doesn't die.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a bit late for any help, but I had a chick that pushed out and pulled the umbilical cord off. It was bleeding profusely and I hadn't replaced my stiptic powder that had hardened. Any starch will help stop bleeding. Corn starch does work better than flour. Flour was the item I had easy so I put some on the spot and put the chick under a lamp for a while until I was sure the bleeding stopped. After it showed some strength, I put it back under my broody. It was as strong and well as it's sibling the next day and handled being stolen, then restolen between my two broodies for a couple days.

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hey thenks yall, i think it was just its naval, i put some corn starch on it that had just been bought and it stopped the bleeding, sorry i didnt post an update till now i just got off a 16 hour shift, but the lil feller is doin fine three have hatched im hopin more by tomorow