New boy in town

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello all.
I've been watching this forum for a month or two, and finally decided to join. It looks like a place I can discuss my own path (back) to SS without a lot of religious or political wrangling or doomsday prophesizing going on. You all seem safe enough to me.
My story as is, so far:
I have lived all my life in the South. I grew up in a family that was pretty much what nowadays is called self sufficient. I didn't know that at the time, it was just the way things were. We had fruit trees, gardens, and sometimes animals. My mother and grandparents canned everything, and my grandfather (great man, my childhood hero) had a yearling steer or two butchered a year. I grew up thinking knowing how to take care of yourself, catch fish, hunt, tie all kinds of knots, cut down trees with an axe, first aid, fix ratty old cars (never good at that) and all those things were normal. Boy was I in for a shock when I moved to the big city.....

I became sort of the man of the house at age 14 (My dad's old work boots fit me just fine) but; I was soon drawn away by all those things young men find interesting. This led to a long urban exile - many many years of it. All this time was spent in a state of desperation and discontent, never feeling happy and sober at the same time. I always wanted to go back to where I had been, but was always surrounded by people that just didn't understand that. After several disasters, I found myself imasculated, humiliated, and pretty near destitute.

But I have finally fought my way back from the (un)dead, and I am finally back on the road to Manville.
I have two teenage kids by my first marriage (aka the primary disaster) and have been several years with a good woman.
She finally agreed to buying a place we can make a leetle farmstead - next year.