New BYC Michigan transplant

NovaAman

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I am a member of BYC, and since the site is down for upgrade, it suggested this site as well as a few others. So here I am. My name is Nova. I have just over an acre of land, with too many trees and not enough sun. I do container gardening in the area that has sunlight since that area is also my drain field. Last year, well 2010, was my first time ever growing my own veggies and fruit. I started small, just tomatoes, carrots, radishes, strawberries, beans and watermelons. This past year, I added a new kind of bean, cucumbers, green peppers, cantaloupe. This year I plan to add zucchini, yellow squash broccoli and cauliflower, and some lettuces.

I have chickens. This is my first year with them. Its been fun time with them. I love them! I also have 4 free-loading ducks. Lol. They re not on light supplement, so maybe that's why they are free loaders. I also have a hen who has gone broody and is sitting on 7 eggs. It will be her first and mine as well. There is an egg under her from every hen I have.

I have 2 children, 6 and 3. I also have 2 dogs. Ankle biter size. Lol. My disabled mother lives with me also. My father used too as well, but he went to the mashed potatoes and roast buffet in the sky last year, 2010.

I am looking forward to meeting people and learning new things that will enrich my life.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Welcome from Mississippi! I hope to be moved, settled and have some chickens in a few months!!!! Woohoo!!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome from the lowlands of South Jersey.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSGreenemail.jpg

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Nova!

Fancy seeing you around here! how are the chickens doing? I have been so busy with the horses, I just got back on to BYC and SS. Nice seeing you again!
Jenn

NovaAman

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wow! I was surprised to see something from SS. I haven't logged on in so long! I have been working on the new chickens, and new coops. I have 2 broody hens at the moment, just had 2 broodys hatch out 2 months ago. I currently have 32 chickens, 2 silkies that are due to hatch yesterday, so a little late, but ok... and 5 under the other broodie. Got the seeding started for the garden. And am currently working on the winter run to make it a summer coop instead. The top half is wood to keep them out of the wind and rain at night, the bottom is covered in double fence of wire and rabbit fence. Um... what else... OH, going to start my first ever meat chickens next week as well. Stock the freezer. They'll be for me, not for selling to others.

But, thanks for the warm welcome. I have perused the site quite a bit, even when I am not logged in, and have learned quite a bit, and found quite a bit of things I'd like to try.