New Chick questions...post 10

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
nope! dont clip their wings - this is the "flippy flyer" stage as we call it. just make sure they dont land in a bucket. they will be more grounded in a couple weeks.
;-)

if you need to you can put a top on their box - we just use a window screen or whatever.

one of my momma's started laying a couple weeks after she hatched! of course then she didnt have time for her babies b/c she was busy making googoo eyes at the roo. most times it takes a few months before they lay again - thats what we've noticed.

:)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Several days ago I let them all out of the box to be loose in the yard so Momma could teach them all those 'chicken survival techniques' like scratching, pecking, dustbathing, etc. It was kinda funny to watch when Momma would try to scratch & because the chicks were right there under foot they'd get sent back a few feet ( or maybe she was giving them flying lessons :lol: )

A few months???? More store bought eggs...blech. One good thing about that...even the boys have noticed & mentioned that s/b eggs don't taste right, homegrown are much better. :ya something is finally getting thru to them ;)

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i -think- you wanna wait until they're mostly grown before you clip any wings, because you don't want to cut their growing pins (blood feathers). it's kinda like cutting a cat or dog's claws too short, they'll bleed like stuck pigs.