New Cold Frame

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes Farmer Chick we are on a hill. Vista is a very hilly area. We loved the property when we first bought it, the view wraps all the way around the house. Butt, since then I have discovered everything is more difficult on a hill. The white picket fence is just a little one we have around our yard. To keep the kids balls from ending up a half mile away down the drive. I think the rise from the street to the house is like 90 ft.

It's hard having almost two acres and nowhere to park our RV. We wanted terrace but one hill facing east is our leach field and the other side facing north is the reserve. The area I want to fence, well all really , but for my future animals would be the north slope. That ones even worse because there is a drop off at the bottom.

Kinda hard to explain. But thank you for the compliments on the cold frame. I can't wait to get something in it and see how it works. Gina

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like you are on your own little plateau in the sky but cramped up.

When I got my 5 acres and put up my house I crammed it into the far corner of the property....and gave most of the land to my horse pasture. Stupid me. I wish I had given myself more yard and less pasture. I cared more about the horse having a few more feet than me having a bigger yard for equity on the house.

I can move the fence but too lazy now..HA HA HA HA

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not cramped at all Karen, I just need to learn how to use my areas more efficiently.

So I wrapped the cold frame in plastic the other day and today I added a door. Kinda. I really don't think I needed one. It got really hot after like 5 min which could be a problem. It was like 70 deg today though.
Yes the rings across the top are shower curtain rings. Another item I already had. I considered a heavy duty shower curtain but I wanted a more custom fit. I did not want to poke holes in a good shower curtain so I switched back to the roll of plastic. It will probably fall apart with our first big wind. Hopefully I'll get some veggies first.

5900_img_0145_1.jpg

5900_img_0146_1.jpg

5900_img_0147_1.jpg

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is a great idea, I have been toying around with the idea of using pallets, covering with corrugated metal to temporarily shelter meaties or maybe turkeys? Oh the possibilities. Thanks for the pictures/idea for cold frame. Might have to try that.

Latest posts